Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying out amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jumpy, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Hi everyone.*Big Wave* First time posting here and I have a question.I'm thinking of getting a new amp soon and was wondering what do you guys/gals do when you try out a new one?Right now I play through a Ampeg Ba115 and I am looking for some more power.Are there any special tricks and such that you use when shopping for a new one? (Like a 10point service test they do on cars as an example)I know it all comes down to personal choice but I am just seeing if others have a differant approach.
    Thanks
    Jon

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Make sure you bring your bass when trying out new amps. Grabbing a bass off the wall and/or floor of a shop won't give you the true effect. Second, play through the amp with all EQ settings flat (with no effects on, if they are available.) This will give you an idea of what the amp does or does not do to your tone. After that, try out the EQ section to see how it colors your tone. Afterwards, check the amp for any possible defects - loose knobs/sliders, etc. Then, kick the tires. ;)

Good luck with your search.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Bingo... couldnt have said it better myself. Also, ignore the salesmen. if you like it, you like it, if you hate it, you hate it. ignore the salesmen.. :)