Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying out an 8-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I am prolly going to check out a used Ampeg 8-10E this weekend. The guy said it is about 6 years old.

I heard they were made shoddy.

I'm only playing clubs, and the cab will stay in my Taurus wagon.

Are they made poorly? Particle board? If so, can they be modded?

No other 8-10 bass cab is made with 4 sealed compartments.

Thanks Guys.

2. I beat the piss out of mine on a regular basis and it just keeps on ticking. The only problem I have and everyone else I have ever known with an 810 has had is don't expect it to stay pretty, the tolex will get many rips and tears no matter how careful you are if you're gigging it.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    A padded cover by Tuki or LeCover will fix that.......

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Try it out on your back first.

5. Rockbobmel

Why won't Eden (or anyone else) make a sealed 8-10 with 4 cpts.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    It limits the low end dramatically.

Im not saying that the Ampeg 8-10's arent good sounding, just that they dont go as low as alot of other cabs. That being said, some people dont mind, because it makes up for it in other ways.

Many people even say that you dont need the fundamental frequencies covered for good sound, but for my sound, thats not the case.

Dont bash it till you try it, and give it a test drive.

Peace
    Nick

7. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Unless stairs are involved, there is never a good reason to lift an 8x10.

Not all at once, at least.

Even when loading it into a car, set one end on the tailgate or seat (an SVT bottom *WILL* fit in the back seat of many full sized cars) and slide it in, while lifting the other end. I have a terrible back, partially fused in one spot, and would rather move an 8x10 than move a 4x10 which won't tilt back, and often requires you to lift it in its entirety.

Keep the sucker balanced and there will be more "push" involved than "lift"!

8. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Oh, yeah!

The tolex *will* peel off the first time it is even sorta' abused.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Are there any sonic benefits to such a cab as opposed to just stacking two 4x10's? Seems to limit your options for naught, but if the sounds are there for you that you can't get with two 4x10's on casters then stacked at the gig, then so be it.

10. gunkle

gunkle Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2002
    Hey RockBobby, I am also a Greenfield resident! Are you talking about the cab that was up on the Dudepit last week? I was also thinking of checking out that cab! What a small world.
    g-

11. Rockbobmel

G Email me. I'll talk to you private. Your messages are set to block.

12. Hey Bobby, I like the Ampeg 810 its a very good cabinet, evern know I opted for 2 Peavey tx810's I played them side by side with my rig in the store and the only difference I could see was The $$$$$ as far as the rips and tears go It's all about the Sound not the Look:cool:P.S. This is just my opinion:D

13. Rockbobmel

I have considered a different 8-10, but the rest (except Hartke) are all ported. Didn't the sealed cabinet sound tighter?

14. To tell ya the truth I didnt notice that the Ampeg was any tighter.. My Tx's are very tight and I love 'em:D I run 2 TX810 and and SVTpro4 with a nightbass fx unit..Both the Amp and the fx mod has Compression so's I can squeeze her even tighter if I want....Like I said this is just my opinion.." My sound "ROCKS" Lots of Low end plus Clairity:D

15. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    that rig sounds cool, but what the hell do you need 16 tens for?

16. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Why not?:D

And to go deaf of course!;)

17. I play with a very loud gutiar player:D LMAO...I dont always run both cabs but when we play bigger clubs and outside gigs,I do. run both of em....

18. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    How do you run all that from 1 amp? Aern't both cabs 4 ohms? Does the 4Pro hit 2 ohms?

19. Yes....600 watts x 2 @ 2ohms

20. I have an older 1978 svt 810 cab and a newer svt 810av cab and I would have to say that they are both very well built. To limit damage to the tolex install some kind of plastic rails on the back for sliding. I also screwed on a metal plate on one of my cabs at the bottom (back) near the casters for protection.