Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying out for a new band, wish me luck.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick man, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Damn its been a rough day.

Since I got back from taking my sociology test around 1:15 its been nothing but forcing down these new songs I have to learn with small breaks in between to give my hands a chance to recover.

Im not complaining though.

I got pretty lucky. A friend of mine hooked me up with some friends of his who play in a fairly well respected local band who is looking for a bass player. Ive seen them a couple of times before and I really dug their stuff. We talked a bit and set up Sunday as the audition.

Last night the guitarist sent me some MP3s of songs to learn so Ive been going over them all day. Just playing and replaying them. I wrote down all the chord changes so I have cheat sheets, but I really want to get some nice baselines down. I have ideas for all the songs I just want to make sure that I go in there with more than just ideas.

I really have to make a good impression since this is the kind of thing Ive been looking for since I got here.

Time to get back too it.

Peace
    Nick

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Well, enjoy yourself and let us know how it goes.

3. *luck*

I wish I could get my bands up and writing again.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks guys.

I think Im pretty much calling it a night. Maybe Ill go over the songs once more before bed but I doubt it, my hands need a break.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Best of Luck with you Audition Nick :bassist:

6. good luck man. Let me know how it goes.

7. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Good Luck! Let me know how those XST's sound with the the whole band.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks guys. Ill definetly post the news here and let you guys know about the gig schedule.

Jawzzz:
    The XSTs sound great with a band, but 2 of them just isnt enough to battle against cranked 100 watt tube stacks. It really sucks that they're so expensive or Id just buy more and stack them all together.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    And good luck from hereabouts as well. Go tear 'em up.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks again.

Im getting a sore spot on myindex finger of my fretting hand form playing so much these last few days. I just hope it doesnt turn into a blister. Also on the sad side of things is the fact that all I have to eat is 5 day old white rice. I dont have any sauce or even salt so I guess thats going to have to hold me off till I find a ride to the grocery store.

Good news is I have all the songs figured out and my cheat-sheets made. Ive managed to stay put in my dorm practicing instead of going out drinking or smoking. Im not even to crazy about drinking diet coke because of the caffine, but its the only thing I have other than warm tap water. Im determined to be absolutely lucid for this tryout tomorrow. Its been way to long since Ive been in a REAL band.

Thanks for giving me something to do while my hands rest. Ill be sure to update you guys.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hey! Don't forget to get some sleep.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, I just decided to call it quits. Ill go over the songs once or twice tomorrow. I just hope I dont get too nervous. If I dont I should do fine.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    SCORE! :hyper:

They invited me back to practice next Sunday but told me that if their current dude flakes out for the final practice on Wed, they'll give me a call so we can get me ready (aka: bust my balls) to play a show with them on Friday!

Im pretty stoked. Even if I dont end up playing Friday, Ill still have a show on August 27th.

They were really friendly and great to jam with. Thanks for the well wishes. :D

15. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Good to hear it man! Picture some kind of congratulatory cyber-high-five from out this way. :hyper:

16. Good luck next weekend! If that sorespot on your index finger blisters up, remember superglue is your friend!

17. Rock on brother!! Congrats. Maybe we hook up shows with one another.

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Way to go man! Start cramming(songs). :D
    You need to start practicing your rock star moves in the mirror. ;) :cool: