Trying out for friends is harder than for strangers

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by caeman, May 16, 2012.

1. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I tried out for a local Irish band this past Monday. I have known the band members since they formed the band, and many years before then. I have followed their career all this time and have always enjoyed their music. Their bassist was moving on to another city and since I had been playing bass for a few years now, they asked me try out. I felt complimented. Very much so. They had five others express an interest in trying out. Over time, 4 would drop out as they found out about the time commitment, leaving it me against one other guy.

I was nervous.

I shouldn't have been nervous, as I already knew all of the songs. I already have all their CDs and listen to them often.

But, I was nervous.

I wasn't nervous when I tried out for and made it into the The Bible Blues Band. I wasn't nervous when I tried out for and made it into Whose Standing -- a short-lived southern rock gospel band. I wasn't nervous when I tried out for and made it at a church that I ended up playing at for 14 minutes at their primary bassist.

These were my friends.

And I was nervous.

It was a very weird feeling. Maybe because they asked me to try out? Maybe because if I flubbed up in front of strangers, I would never see them again?

Anywho, I will find out by May 22nd that I won the spot. :) I am confident I will get it. Otherwise, why even try?

2. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

Good luck, Chad. Hope you got it.

3. dnosewor

dnosewor

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't know what it is but the only time I ever get nervous at a show is when I know there are going to be friends and family in the audience. For me I think it's a self confidence thing. I know that those people will be watching me specifically.

Knowing this band might also be an advantage for you at this audition. They already know you as a person and know if you will be a good fit for the band. For me personality is just as important as musical talent. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

4. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    I think I agree with this. If you jive well with the band on a personal level, that is definitely a huge bonus in your favour. I'm sure you know the songs well; just play them with good feeling and I'm sure you'll be fine!

5. It was harder for me to try out for friends because half way through I knew I didn't want the gig. I had (have) too many (well paying, interesting) projects going on to even consider adding a commitment to yet another band - I should not have auditioned in the first place. Also, although they are really incredible musicians, at the time they had just got together as a band and couldn't get it together. They just had a bunch of parts which didn't gell together (progressive stuff) and I wasn't into that. But I found it hard to tell them I wasn't interested in playing with them cause they were my friends.

Happily they stuck it out, put the work in, found a great bass player and are doing some really interesting music (still not my cup of tea but well played and structured music). I guess it worked out for all.

Check them out:

6. the wako kid

the wako kid

May 11, 2011
    Denver,CO
    it happens to me all the time,but usually it's when I'm trying to show off.I can play in front of total strangers perfectly,and then I'll be in front of one of my friends and try to show him a cool riff and **** it up seventeen times.it's worse with less people.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021