Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying out for jazz group.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jiant., Aug 22, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    So on Wednesday night I'm trying out for my school's Jazz Ensamble. I've met the director of the music department and talked with him a little bit, I told him that I'm not good at reading music, but I know the notes on my fretboard well, and he said that shouldn't be a problem. He told me to just show up and play whatever I wanted to, so I'm just going to play my most technical lines. One question I have is should I link all of the lines together so that it's like one long piece, or just play them one at a time. They're all kind of short. Also is there anything you would do to prepare for this? I've been running over my stuff quite a bit here in the dorm, and I played a bunch before I left home too. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. -Brad

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I always here about people who audition who do the following;

Choose a jazzstandard
    Play the melody
    Play a walking bass
    Solo
    Play the melody again.

Of course, I don't what this guy expects from you, and at what level your playing is.

What did you have in mind?

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    He doesn't care how "technical" you can play. He wants a bassist that will make his ensemble sound as good as it can. Like VORACIOUS says, being able to competently walk a quarter note line through changes, play a convincing straight 8 feel over changes, improvise a little...

Bottom line - he needs a bass player. If you can show up with a nome and can play a two octave major scale in time and know how to arpeggiate 4 part chords, he'll figure he can teach you the rest. BUT if there's a bassist that shows up who CAN read and do some of that stuff listed above, who do you think is gonna get the gig?

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Very true. Well, I guess I'll just go in there and do what I can and see what happens. I'll be rethinking my gameplan and see what I can come up with. Thanks guys.

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Sounds like my situation - cept I kinda just bailed on bothering to learn to reread bass clef. I mean I know whats what, but that on translation to the fretboard just ain't pretty because I havn't gotten it down.

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I got the gig. I just went in and played some stuff for him and he seemed pretty impressed. Now I just have to learn to read music well, and play without a pick, both of which I think will help me to be a great bassist in the long run. Thanks for all the advice guys.