Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying Out High School Jazz Band - Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 4stringthing, Oct 29, 2002.

1. 4stringthing

4stringthing

May 10, 2001
    Arkansas
    I'm trying out for high school jazz band. This is my first time playing in any high school band at all. I have no idea what to except. Thanks.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    well learn that except is an entirely different thing from expect ;)

keep your cool, do what the instructor asks of you before showing him anything else you may want to show him(if he lets you) keep your cool, stay focused, don't be nervous, keep your cool.

how's your reading? and improv?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you search - there have been quite a few threads on this exact same subject - you will find lots of advice from people.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Remember one rule at all auditions:

K.I.S.S.*

*(Keep It Simple, Stupid)

5. from my experiance, make sure you can read shete music as well as the trumpet players, and if you cant, learn how to make it look like your playing and can keep time and read the music really really well. hahaha, i hope you dont get screwed over like me.
    -shoonk

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Don't slap/pop

7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    learn how to sight read in the first position.

the majority of the stuff you'll play (probably) will be either in F or Bb, and very few charts will extend higher than our middle C (fifth fret on G string).

make sure you are confident playing in the first position and can identify the notes on the staff with where the notes are located on your fretboard without looking.

knowing this, you'll do just fine in the class.

the rhythms will probably be all quarter notes (and if they aren't, take a minute or two to count out all the parts that aren't).

this has been my experience (junior, 3rd year jazz band member).