Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trying out people for the band....hell on earth?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Once tried out a cavalcade of psychotics for the position of lead singer... the best was a six eight giant who screamed incoherently and rolled around in the dirt, cigarette butts and beer cans of our borrowed practice space. He had the biggest attitude of the bunch. Nothing like putting an ad in the paper for a singer to draw out the local freaks....:D

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ya i undersatnd completly! We have been looking for a guitar player and singer for 2 years now! Ive played bass for about 16 years now And the drummer for 15! We have tried out probably 30 guitar players! We had one dude i thought might actually be the anti-christ! He had on all black had his hair blackend and had on pentagrams! He tried to play death metal on top of are funk jazz! God its horrible when you are good musicians and you can only find crap!

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    tried out a drummer like that before! I believe he was the devil. Anyway, he scared the hell out of the guitarist.

4. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Gee, one of my friends is just like that, happens to play drums as well. But we've had jams before and was really cool. The best was me, anothe bassist, and him, i was lead, and the drummer controlled the mood by what we played. Was really fun.

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, one time I drove WAY out in the boonies in rural North Carolina to try out for a "band," only to find a bunch of boneheads who couldn't play anything.

And they were scary. And it was WA-A-A-A-AY out in the sticks...

"...say, do I hear a banjo playing?...Is that the theme from "Deliverance?"

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    scary....

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I know what you mean. When we decided it was time to replace our singer this past winter, we had a lot of replies to the ads. Most of what we got were college kids that thought it would be cool to be in a band. Yeah right!!! Not one of them could sing at all. Came down and made complete asses out of themselves. We even stated in the add that we wanted people with previous band experience.

We did get lucky in the end, and finally found a guy that fits in with us and with our style of music perfectly.

Ryan

8. my band just had a guitarist try out, he couldn't even tune with a tuner. He brought an old really really dirty piece of wood with a rug on it for his pedals. and when he left some people came downstairs and said "holy it stinks down here!!"

then another girl who when it finally came to coming over to try out (after she asked her mom) she emailed me and said I don't think I am going to do it I just thought it would be cool to be in a band and record a CD.

some people