Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying the six again

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    'K, I bought bassdr's Peavey Axcelerator 6, and I'm highly impressed. I've been playing mostly 5 strings for a while, but I wanted to try an Axcelerator, and the rest is history.

I'm not sure how much use the C string is going to get. The bass as a whole sounds so good, though, that I'm going to figure out what to do with all these strings. I had a Dean Q6 before, and it really wasn't too exciting :spit: . This bass, however, just sounds like a really good bass that happens to have more than four strings.

Guess I just wanted to share or something. :)

2. Glad you like it. I am still amazed at the quality of bass for the $$$ invested. Hope a 6 works for you. I'm thinking of going back to 4 :eek:

3. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I would rather play 6s than 5s, since I would make use of the C quite a bit probably. and if not, then as long as its a good bass I wouldn't mind another string there just in case.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good for you, flatwound! I had a similar thing happen to me several years ago. My first 6 was a Cort and it never really grabbed me and made me want to play a 6. Neither did the Alembic Epic, for that matter. But the Modulus Quantum 6! That's what finally sent me "over." I've never looked back.

5. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    This is a great bass, no question. This one has 21 frets and a compact body, so it doesn't feel much different than a 34" bass. I'll probably gig it with my Dad's old-timey band Friday. I don't play with them too often, but considering that I'm almost 45 and my Dad's nearing 74, I play with him every chance I get. I probably won't use the low notes (most of the audience probably can't hear them), but I can feature the C string from time to time.

I have Lo-Riders on it at this point, but when they go, I'll probably take rickbass's advice and try Fat Beams.

Anyway, the bass just feels so good that I want to play it. The B is nice and juicy, and the neck is a dream. When bassdr told me it compared favorably to his boutique basses, I was a bit skeptical, but no more. I've taken a few trips to Bass Alone, and played some very nice basses. This one stands up pretty well.

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    You guys should get together (to talk 6's) and let your avatar dogs hang out. Maybe bassdr's cheewah-wah would like to come, too. You eedeeot.

7. i just want to say,

6 STRINGS KICK ASS!!!

i love my 6s. just get a good one.

8. I did the same. What an original move in those days of 62-string basses! 4-strings rule! (but 5-strings can be useful sometimes)

9. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Nothing at all wrong with 4-stringers. If I had to, I could play a four string for the rest of my life and be happy. But... I don't have to.

10. 6-strings are great too, when played well. Listen to Oteil Burbridge, for instance. Or John Pattitucci. Or Les Claypool. But some guys like to have more strings just to show off. :meh:

11. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dang. You're on to me. :p

Played it today at a happy-hour gig at a local retirement community and it sounded even better than I expected. The G and C which sounded twangy in my dining room (where I practice) sounded much fuller in their dining room. I got a good, punchy sound that fit well. The clarinetist, who I'm told also plays BG said he thought it sounded good.

So all of a sudden I'm liking the six.

12. I might try a 6 someday. I like playing chords so I guess a 6 could be interesting for that. There's also the fact that there are more notes in the same position so your right hand doesn't have to move up and down the neck too often. I tried a Yamaha some years ago (the model played by John Myung) and I felt the neck was too thick. Then tried an Ibanez Soundgear. Played much better but I don't like the "Ibanez tone". :meh: :bawl: