1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying the upright world...

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by fretlesswonder, Jul 25, 2012.

1. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm 42, been into rockabilly forever, play electric bass, looking to buy an upright bass...I need advice, I want to buy a bass, I know, I know...I'd rather do it right than wrong. Is a Swingmaster the best option? Thanks for the time, reading all the these posts, they help, but my head is spinning! :help:

2. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Hey! You're in for a wild ride!

Those Engle Swingmasters are pretty great for the dough. I personally play a Blast Cult, which is THE BEST thing to happen to amplified upright, IMO. I also have a '51 Kay M1 and a '48 Epiphone B4. All great slap basses. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions...I play slap bass for a livin' :)

3. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey

Thanks dukerock! Those Blast Cults are beauties, love the look and sound. :D

Going to take you up on your offer, this is such a great world, I mean, then history, the passion, I love it! Lee Rocker is my idol, but there are SO many great players, I am finding my way... :hyper:

4. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Awesome! It's fun for sure :)

5. Rock-N-Dawg

Rock-N-Dawg

Sep 18, 2010
    Corona CA
    I have a couple King Slaps and saving my nickles and dimes for a Blast Cult (Probably just start out with the pickup system!) but i also owned a Swingmaster at one point. The Swingmaster was a great looking bass and it acoustically probably sounded a little better than the Kings (bigger body less paint!) but they have kind of weird feeling super skinny neck (at least the one i had!) that I couldn't get used to so i ended up selling it. Kings have pretty skinny necks also, but to me feel WAY better than the Swingmaster. So you might want to try and test on first.