1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to achieve a nice pick tone for metal.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Demon, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Can anyone give some advice on getting a good tone for playing metal (with a pick)? Ive mixed around a bit, but havent found anything that really clicks. Im looking for a clear tone that cuts through, but still stays somewhat heavy sounding (while playing with a pick). Sofar the tones ive got are somewhat empty, and dont fill out enough. Im using a Warwick sweet 15 combo for an amp, and a G&L Trib l2500.

Any ideas?

2. Boost dem mids.

3. also, the pick matters, experiment with different guages.. i use a medium.. its less then 1mm i think.. and i play mainly metal :)

4. I use Dunlops 1.14 thickness and that seems to work just fine.
    Use whatever floats your boat, but I think 1.14 would be better for what your playing.
    But ya boost the mid.

5. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Yea, i have dunlop 1.14s and 1.5s. I prefer the 1.14s. Tried ur suggestions and it does sound better:) just gotta find a balance.

6. Don't your thumb hurt using 1mm and up picks? Mine does :meh:

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Depends on how i hold it:) But dont think more than the 1.5.
    What about Rex Browns (pantera) tone? It sounds pretty good. Like if it was on the verge of overdriving/distorting. but guess that must be pretty hard to get with a combo and a bass only:p

8. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I play with my Jazz bass, full volume on neck, 3/4 on bridge, full tone. I have my bass knob at around 2 o clock, my mids at 12 - 1, my treble at 1, and I get a pretty nice tone. I don't like to scoop my mids because it sounds like crap in a band situation.

One suggestion though: don't make your final decision until you play with a band. A bass may sound great EQ'd a certain way solo but it may sound crappy in a band. Depending on how the guitars are EQ'd, you might need to change your settings to fill in the gaps ;)

9. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    what worked for me when i was in a metal band was boosting the lower mids a bit on my amp and playing mostly with downstrokes