Trying to be innovative in live church setting

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GraffixGuy, Mar 22, 2014.

1. GraffixGuy

GraffixGuy

Mar 22, 2014
    I am a new bass player transitioning from 20+ years playing the drums. I write my parts on chart sheets using tablature but find it difficult to find the song I need from two different note books while playing in my church band. I am also working to incorporate Logic Pro X into my setup to create rhythm tracks for songs as well. Do you know of any software I can use from my Macbook that will allow me to find my tab charts quickly and also be a resource to help during practicing and live playing during a gig or on stage during church service? It would be great to have something that would load the track and display the tab chart easily from a list, etc. Thanks.

2. Checkout an Ipad and available apps.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Stop using tab charts. Just use the chord chart, and play the root. Then listen to the song for the nuances. Most of these songs are on YouTube. Get used to just finding the groove on the fly. Most of these songs are ridiculously simple and repetitive. I've been doing it a few months now, and to be honest, it doesn't take a whole lot of work. Let go, and feel the song.

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm testing out something called "iReal Pro" from the Apple App store. I think it might work for your situation.

Runs on Mac OS X and is about $20. I'm using it for backing tracks and charts for practicing pedal steel guitar. Could certainly be used for bass as you can mix out the bass track. The iReal Pro forums have upwards of thousands of tunes already programmed and you can download or you can create and edit your own. Nice thing is that within the program, you can search for charts, change tempo, feel, key and so on.

I have no affiliation with this company, just using its software!

Live, I have been using an iPad app called "Setlists" - it's more of a green screen teleprompter app, but I can use it to create, store and organized hundreds of songs into many many different set lists. I also use a footswitch in a live situation for forwarding to the next chart without having to swipe the iPad screen. Its all text based so you could use lyric sheets, tab charts or mock up chord charts. This has no sound playback, so is purely reference.

There's other similar iPad apps like "OnSong" and the like. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses....and for a few bucks each, it's worthwhile experimenting with them to find what works for you....

5. churches are not known to be hot beds of innovation.....like kathleen madigan pointed out the file hers is on is from ad :1204.....:D

6. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    This. Chord/lyric charts and a half decent monitor mix, these are the things that makes church bassists smile :)

That and the Second Soprano not complaining because she "gets thrown off by the bass, and it takes me out of the Spirit".

When you're not playing that measure....

yeah....

7. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    I use OnSong for music downloaded fron the web or Rockin' With the Cross, and I can scan my own charts and transfer them into OnSong from Dropbox. Everything is there, and I just group them in sets as needed.

8. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Almost every church will give a chord chart, to me that is enough, I wont attempt to bring tabs to a service because I know by experience that there are big chances that the leader will change the key of one song.

9. Who brings tabs to praise practice!?!?!? My former band leader would have legit kicked me out if I did that.

I don't even bring chord sheets. I memorize the general progression with those Roman numerals. That way it's easier when the leader changes keys.

10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I have a few musician friends/bandmates, both in church and out, that use iPads and an app called "Set List Maker". Not only will it keep your set list but with the touch of the screen you can see your lyrics or chord charts. I think it will even play your backing tracks and works in conjunction with iTunes for practice purposes. Accessories include remote Bluetooth footswitches and the like for hands-free control.

Ditch the tabs. I think it's absolutely the worst method for transcribing music. I guess it's OK to learn a certain fingering for a certain song in a certain key but you are VERY limited.

Learn to read real music, lead sheets, chord charts, the Nashville Number System, memorize your part, etc. You will have an easier time playing and be much more versatile.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

11. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I play in church all the time and I play just about anything that I think will make the song sound good. I am at a bit of an advantage in that I can follow chord charts and lead sheets and I have a pretty good ear. Lock in with the drums and learn the songs and IMO forget about all of the fancy stuff and computer programs; you should not need that to learn the songs you will be playing.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021