1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to build pc...need help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Daniel L., Jul 28, 2007.

1. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    So, I'm thinking about putting together a pc for music production and maybe video editing/production. I checked out Dell, HP, etc. and have been less than impressed. I went to a couple of local computer places here to see about having one custom built but they just want to sell me one of THEIR custom built ones.

So, I've been scouring the interwebs trying to piece one together and have come up with the following:

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

Motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121059

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034

HD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148140

Video Card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814121007

DVD Burner - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16827151141

Power Supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817153027

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811112130

Will this system work together? Is there anything else I need? Anything I have that I don't need? Is Newegg reputable to buy from? Other thoughts?

2. Thats certainly going to smoke. Given the video editing, the only thing that you may want to consider is running two of the sata 7200 drives for disk i/o bandwidth. Once you start hitting it hard it may help. I couldn't find it on the motherboard page but it should do RAID given it has 8 ports. A two disk RAID 0 will do it.

I run 3 machines in this way with similar specs but AMD cpus and found them to cope with anything you can throw at them. The CPU's are no where near the intel your looking at too.

Can't fault your spec.

Cheers,

3. Double check to make sure your RAM is compatible with your processor. I don't really know which RAM go with which Intel processor, since i'm an AMD guy. I'll try to find a chart to check for you.

4. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    I actually am thinking of getting 2 of the 320gb HD. I was going to devote one exclusively to music/video files.

What is RAID exactly?

5. Only thing Id change is go for Mushkin memory. Ive had Corsair and one other brand before and both came with errors on them. Ran memtest on my Mushkin stick 9 or 10 times through and it was clean. Its not really much more expensive either, for what I consider to be better memory.

6. You can run 1066 ram but it's going to cost about 70% more. Not worth it and the bios will nock down the clock to 800.

7. Your two disks in RAID will become one logical disk presented to the system. You will end up with 640G and effectively double the disk data throughput. That's raid 0.

raid 1 will mirror the drives so if one fails your system will keep running.

raid 5 is a minimum of 3 disks that will allow one to fail and continue functioning. I don't suggest you use raid 5 as it is slower to write data.

raid stands for redundant array of inexpensive disks

On the memory, I'm with Dave, I havn't used corsair memory but it's one component that can give you hell if it's not up to scratch. A brand we have used both in desktops and servers that we still to day haven't had one fail is kingston. It has lifetime warranty too i believe. Not that we have had to use it. The cost of kingston should be on par with corsair as they are hard competitors. If the 1066 mem is close to the 800 in cost you will be better off with it technically.

8. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    What would you recommend instead? Are you saying to with 512mbx4?

9. No, hes talking about the speed of the ram.

10. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Wow, that sounds pretty cool. Just looked it up and found this "Provides quicker access to digital photo, video, and business files with RAID 0, 5, and 10, and data protection against a hard drive failure with RAID 1, 5, and 10." So that means I'd be good to go?

11. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002

Oh, okay. I'll check out the Mushkin stuff too. I've heard that they are better like you said.

12. I haven't used the mushkin ram here because of supplier but given what dave has said it's a good path.

The speed figures are about ram speed. The cpu can be as fast as you want but that's not much good if the speed between the cpu and memory is chopped down because the ram can't cope.

800 and 1060 bus speed are ridiculously fast. While it's common now it would be like saying we all have 5000W heads for our bass.

800 is totally acceptable, 1066 is better. Just cost may be a factor here. Quality memory is worth the dollars and like dave said there isn't that much diff anyway.

With the RAID, its 0 that you will get the goods from.

13. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
  14. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Looks like it should be a sweet machine. Be aware that if you go with RAID 0 and 1 disc fails you will loose all of the data on both drives. You might want to think about adding a USB drive to your order for periodic backups.

15. One other thing, building your own system is a great thing. You will learn a lot, have a better idea of what to spend the bucks on.

The list you have so far is a very sound set of parts. If anything I'm surprised you have the combo well planned out for a newbe.

Your really don't have anything to be worried about with that setup.

That RAM looks like a better choice, the reports back give it good rap too.

The external USB disk is a great idea, raid or no raid. But yes given two disks and one fail it's light out. Your choice of disk is perfect.

16. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    One other option I was considering was just having one internal HD and then having an external USB HD. Is there any advantage to either one?

17. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
  18. Daniel L.

Daniel L. Guest

Aug 30, 2002
    Also, do you think my power supply is enough watts? Too many? I've heard mixed information.

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate all the help!

19. The current draw from the new intels is way less than last year. The old dual core 3g for example ran at 35degrees and drew about 135 watts.

The new ones are about half that. So if anything your power supply is gaining ground. 470 is heaps for that system. If you had 8 disks, 12 slots of memory and every slot full it may be a concern.

Yours is again very good spec with plenty of headroom. Saying that because of cost it isn't worth going any smaller on the supply. You can't have too many, the computer will only draw what it needs. So if you had a 600W it will still be fine, just run cooler

20. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    Youve got a mobo/CPU incompatibility issue.

Mobo accepted CPU: Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium EE / Pentium

Chosen CPU: Core 2 Quad.

You need a bit more mobo or a bit less processor. Other then that, hit up the RAID 0, put ~4 gig of ram, pick up an aftermarket (musician-quality) audio card, and your comp will pretty much rock everything any of your friends have.

edit: Looking around NewEgg, i dont believe they carry a Core 2 Quad mobo.