1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to choose between SBMM and EBMM Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ever, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ever

ever

Feb 1, 2016
    Hi, this is my first post in the forums, though I have read them extensively for a few months now. :p

I've been playing bass for a few months as well and I'm planning on acquiring a new one in a few more months (probably late June) and I really want a Stingray. I'm basically trying to decide whether I should save the extra money to get a used EBMM Stingray over a used SBMM Ray34. I've unfortunately not been able to play either, but I've played a few SBMM subs at the guitar center closest to me (that was all they had at the time and its a bit of a trip so I don't want to drive up there until I'm closer to making an actual purchase).

I currently have a Squier short scale and I initially wanted a P bass when I was ready to commit and save for better gear, but they haven't felt right to me the way the SBMM sub did.

Anyways, the main question is: it is going to be more worthwhile in the long run to save and get the real deal?

2. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Definitely go for the used EBMM Stingray. You won't be sorry. Great feel and will have excellent resale vale for you if need be.

Ikkir and Planespotter like this.
  3. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Like Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terell said: "Ain't nothing like the real thing."

Get the Stingray. It's worth it.

4. Well, it depends upon what features are most important to you. I find the SBMM Rays to be absolutely outstanding instruments - look great and sound great to a point where they are virtually indistinguishable from the EBMM models (especially in the sound department, they are identical). However, the SBMM models have gloss finished necks, and I personally can't stand those, while the EBMM models are oil finished, which I love. That factor alone means that I'll probably never buy an SBMM model.

Don't forget that the EBMM USA SUB models are another thing to look at. I've owned two of those, they are also fantastic and an absolute steal for what you get.

5. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    This. 1000 times, this.

Tbone76 and blindrabbit like this.
  6. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Should not even be a second thought in your head, get the EBMM and you will have a life long instrument instead of a wannabe...

Ikkir and MoeTown1986 like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You've been playing bass for a few months and so long as you plan on continuing playing, there's no need to buy a Musicman now when you can buy a perefectly playable used Ray 34 for under $400 and a new one for under $600.
    I bought this for $595. Every song I can play on a Stingray I can play on this.
    By the way, my neck is smooth as silk.
    1j3i2c.
    The money you save can buy you an amp. If you're serious, no sense buying a cheap one.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Goy77 and blindrabbit like this.
  8. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    If you can try them both... I'd say play them blind and pick which one you like better.

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

My advice to young players is always get the best instrument you can afford.
    A better instrument will play better, sound better and inspire you more
    Your bass is your direct connection to your music. No reason to cheat yourself if you don't have to.

Goy77, Ikkir, Planespotter and 4 others like this.
  10. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Ya, nice try, don't you know this advice goes against everything for which people on TB stand?

Ok, seriously, this is the best advice you are going to get, period. I know many people around here will try to make you believe that these knockoffs play just as well as the originals, it just is not true. If this is a serious endeavour for you, get yourself some serious equipment, it will make you much happier...

Planespotter likes this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Yeah, steer clear of beginner and intermediate basses, they're only for beginner and intermediate bassists.
    If you want to be a pro, even if it takes you a few years just to get a little garage band together, you have to buy pro.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  12. I've owned both. The biggest noticeable difference is the neck finish. My stingray 5 has a oil/wax finish, the sterling by musicman ray34 I had a typical gloss finish. So the necks feel a bit different texture wise. . I personally didn't notice much difference from the compensated nut. The stealth models have a black finish over the pickup poles which is nice as these pickups tend to rust. I will say another thing to keep in mind is weight. My Mia stingray is a 5 string and weighs less than the ray34 even though they are both ash and maple basses.

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm perfectly happy with my SBMM. Got it for about $600 new. The standard Ray34 is a satin finish; the classic series has a gloss neck.
    These are made in Indonesia in what I've been told is the same factory as Lakland Skyline and G&L Tribute and then set up in California.
    The quality on them is very good. Frets and neck are perfect, tone is great, hardware is fine.

Goy77, SBMM and blindrabbit like this.
  14. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    There are plenty of pros that play intermediate basses. Give me a break.

Terracite, Hawk600, SBMM and 3 others like this.
  15. The older ones were largely made in Indonesia but I am not sure that it was the same factory that does Skylines and Tributes. Just recently the company that makes the SbMM line (they license the instrument designs from EBMM) has bought up two factories (one in Korea and one in China) that will be making the SbMM instruments exclusively. Moving forward it looks like none of them will be made in Indonesia they will all be China or Korea. Interestingly I saw some SUB guitars that were made in Korea and many of the upper line Made in China. I would have assumed the Korean ones would be the top end stuff.

16. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    How about that. Curious to see if quality suffers.

17. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Get the EBMM. If the SBMM Sub felt great to you, you're in for a treat if you get the real deal. I have a Stingray 5 and a Ray35 (non-sub) and the Stingray plays much better. Yeah they sound very very close, but the real deal FEELS amazing.

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've heard lots of good things about the SBMM basses so I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

However, I've owned (and still own) a ton of EBMM basses and they have all been excellent. I would absolutely look for a used one and jump on it. I've seen them go for some really good prices so if you're patient you can probably find one that you'll be happy about.

Planespotter likes this.
  19. ever

ever

Feb 1, 2016
    Thanks, everyone. :) I'm gonna save and watch for a good price on an EBMM and I'm gonna look into USA subs too. I'd rather wait longer and have a really great instrument.

20. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    And there it is...

Goy77 likes this.