Trying to cop a metal tone // best way for early ‘90z Zombie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricssonB, Aug 14, 2020.

1. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    Was on a Zombie kick today - Thunder Kiss ‘64, while southbound on the 25 and really got kicked in the butt by that growly bass monster. What’s the best bass to get this?
    Tried plugging my Ibby BTB wit rounds into my old late ‘80s Pævs 1516 and got like ‘80 there. Is there a better way. Thank.

negativeions24 likes this.
  2. Ryan X Decent

Ryan X Decent

Aug 13, 2020
    In the video it looks like she's using a Charvel 3B, so probably any bass with an active PJ set-up. Though you could probably get that tone with any bass with some EQing.

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    That's the standard 90's American rock sound. Clean (probably active) bass and scoop the mids. That particular bass track sounds very compressed as well. Probably wouldn't hurt to use a pick, either.

All that distortion is coming from the guitars, not the bass.

4. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    Agreed. The elements of that tone that leap out at me more than anything else (on “Black Sunshine” most of all) are pick and compression.

EricssonB and superheavyfunk like this.
  5. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA
    Sean used Ibanez a lot, not sure when she switched over, and mostly Ampeg SVT. Never heard what effects she used, if any, and plays with a pick.

EricssonB likes this.
  6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    she's gone thru as many basses as Zombie went thru styles of their own sound, until the bass barely existed in the electro mix of Astro Creep and then RZ pulled the plug, but her basic stick for the Sexoristo era was her modded Ibby. she tightened up her sound for that CD.
    I may have seen their best show ever, taped the damn thing too and never heard them kill it like White Zombie did for us after cancelling twice in a year, by the time they came on (while very successfully trying out a new drummer) the whole place was ready to rock with the red hottest band at the moment and they blew the roof off. then returned a year later for the Creep tour and sucked, the fire was out.
    https://www.hearsheroars.com/post/interview-with-sean-yseult-bass-player-photographer-designer-icon
    White Zombie’s Sean Yseult: The JG2Land Interview
    upload_2020-8-14_19-26-4.png

7. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    This is all really cool information. It’s just such a gnarly sound, I wanna try it out

TeeBee is a good community. Thanks everyone.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021