1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Trying to date / appraise a Traben bass I picked up at a local shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barffly, Feb 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. barffly

barffly

Feb 19, 2018
    Baltimiore, MD
    Hey all, I am new to this site and I hope you are all doing well. I am very much a beginner, but when I saw this Traben bass at some random music shop in Lebanon, PA, I dug it. I liked the sound and the feel, though I could tell there were still some rough spots in the electronics / knobs that might need to be worked out. I wound up paying 300 for it.

I did some research on the company, having never heard of them at the time of purchase. I can;t seem to lock down what model / year this is. I tried researching thew serial (T13823) and that got me nowhere. Traben's seem divisive from what I have read on this site, and it seems like the ones made in Vietnam are sub-par. Also, it looks like the pups have been swapped out from the stock humbucker / soapbars that Traben seemed to employ. Instead, it has a pair of single-coil jazz pickups. I am assuming they were swapped, since every one I have seen for sale online had different pups. Finally, the model identifier right above the nut has been removed.

Long story short, I'd appreciate anyone's advise or info on identifying it. I have included some pictures if that helps:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

LowActionHero likes this.
  2. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    That is one of Traben's Array models. I own/play an Array Attack with a burled maple top.

3. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    Those do look like the stock big pole Rockfield pickups, too.

4. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    LowActionHero likes this.
  5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^^ Yes to both. I can't tell an exact year, but I sold them with that spec in 2012.
    Yes, it's an Asian model.

6. barffly

barffly

Feb 19, 2018
    Baltimiore, MD
    Thanks for the quick replies. I was checking out their Wiki as well, and I'm thinking this must be one of the Obsession models based on that pickup array. Thanks much for the quick reply!

7. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    Mine has a Music Man style pickup in the bridge position and a slanted jazz style single coil in the neck position.

8. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    As for the value, I suppose that's subjective. Lol.

9. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    20170828_190557.jpg

10. motoman

motoman

May 8, 2008
    Ontario canada
    i had a traben phionex five. too bad the company went under they had some really nice looking basses.

BurnOut likes this.
  11. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    They play nice, too. :bassist:

12. barffly

barffly

Feb 19, 2018
    Baltimiore, MD
    Haha, yeah I agree. My other bass is a Yamaha TRBX174EW Mango that I got new. I like it just fine, but this Traben struck a chord when I saw it. I'm going to have it looked at / adjusted this week, so hopefully I'll know more then. If the local shop I usually deal with says "I'll give you 100-150" for it, then I know they would probably sell it for about 300.

13. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    When you get to playing it, I think you'll like it. Lol

14. barffly

barffly

Feb 19, 2018
    Baltimiore, MD
    Yeah man. That one you posted looks pretty sweet too.

15. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    I love the feel of it. I have an LTD with a very similar neck. That big tribal bridge is really cool and I loved the burled top.

16. barffly

barffly

Feb 19, 2018
    Baltimiore, MD
    When you say burled top, are you talking about the slope that is at the top of the headstock?

17. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    No, the wood. That crazy grain pattern is called burl. It comes from big, overgrown knots on the maple tree. 20170831_225641.jpg

18. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    Not to be confused with spalting, which occurs because of diseased areas within a tree. 20170901_191351.jpg

19. barffly

barffly

Feb 19, 2018
    Baltimiore, MD
    Ah , ok...A la "The Curl of the Burl"

20. barffly

barffly

Feb 19, 2018
    Baltimiore, MD
    And in this case, Top meaning the finish

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021