Trying to decide between a Trickfish Bullhead 1K and a Mesa Boogie TT-800. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uninc4life2010, Aug 12, 2023.

1. uninc4life2010

uninc4life2010

Aug 12, 2023
    Hello,

I'm currently in a band with myself and a drummer. I play bass, guitar, and keyboards. I also do the vocals, but she's also learning vocals while drumming. We like to incorporate looping into our songs since it's only the two of us. It's challenging being in a two-person band, but it's also make certain things easier to manage like practice schedules and agreeing on certain songs to play.

We like playing in genres like indie-rock, punk, post-punk, and grunge. I typically play finger style and with a pick on for the "punkier" stuff. I really don't go into slap bass all that often. It just doesn't fit the music that we're into, and I'm a little glad since I'm not a great slap player. As far as my current setup goes, I'm using an older 200w Ampeg B2 w/ a 15" speaker. It's okay, and it gets the job done for practice sessions, but it really does lack power. The tone is not terrible, just not amazing. Based on my ability to play one in a store, I'm going to pick up an Orange OBC115 that my local mom n' pop ordered for me. It was really a great sounding cabinet with a Terror Bass. The tone was low, full, present, and had that low hit that you feel in your in the chest cavity. It's a little hard to describe, but I loved what came out of that speaker. The also look cool with the side-ported cab design. I've read great things about Mesa cabs, Bergantino, Barefaced, and Aguilar, but I've never had the opportunity to play those, so I decided to buy what I actually liked in-person.

As far as amps go, I was originally going to go with an Ampeg SVT-CL and 410 cab, but I just don't want to have to lug that thing around. It's also VERY expensive and will need expensive maintenance in the future. I was going to sell my motorcycle to pay for it, but I'd rather put that money into the OBC115 cab and a different head and still have money left over. I totally get why people love SVTs. I really would like to have one with a fridge cabinet, but I just don't think it's a good fit for me right now.

I'm currently split between the Mesa Boogie TT-800 and the Trickfish Bullhead 1K. I've read great things about both of these amps. They are in virtually the same price range. People rave on the versatility of the TT-800, but I also don't feel like there are too many people out there who aren't happy with their TF 1K. I feel like the TT-800 may have more tone versatility, but I also have a number of pedal options to modify the tone to my liking.

I'm leaning slightly toward the Trickfish 1K at the moment. The guys from the company were really helpful and were eager to answer any of my questions regarding their equipment. At the same time, there is just a litle more info out there on the TT-800, and the amp unquestionably appears to have vastly more tone versatility. It's a lot of money to spend, and I just want something that I'm happy with and that I feel like was worth the investment. Both of these amps have sufficient power such that I can add an additional 400w cab and not need be strained for power. I don't like buying sub-par equipment that I will just need to sell down the line for. I'd prefer to buy once and cry once.

What are y'all thoughts on these two amps? I'd really appreciate some help deciding.

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    For me, the tone versatility, sound, and tech support from Mesa make the decision easy.
    I'm sure you'd be happy with either, but if it were me, I'd get the TT-800.

3. uninc4life2010

uninc4life2010

Aug 12, 2023
    Thank you. I wish I had the opportunity to play both of these side by side.

4. Bassi5t

Bassi5t Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2017
    San Diego
    For my, I dont need my amp to have a versatile sound as long as I like the sound it makes. Never played the TF but I’ve never read a bad thing about it. I dig the TT but I’m not the biggest class D guy so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I do play Mesa though so there’s that :bassist:

5. jhfishn

jhfishn In Memoriam

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ
    I’ve had the Mesa D800+ and though it’s not the tt800 it’s still mesa

I’ve also had both Trickfish heads with 2 of the 4-8, 212 and 112 and now have an Eich 900T

if it were me it’d be an easy decision for Mesa.
    The trickfish was good but in my mind far to fussy to get a sound I wanted and I’m playing a P/J so it’s not exactly gourmet but the Eich is ridiculously good. It’s the aftermath of Tecamp

again I’d steer into the Mesa and I’d figure that’s going to be the consensus you will hear

it’s also easier to sell should you think otherwise.

6. uninc4life2010

uninc4life2010

Aug 12, 2023
    Thanks for the help! What kind of music are you playing? Does the Mesa or Eich amps lend themselves well to the indie/punk/grunge genre I'd be playing in? (Sorry, I know that's a wide variety of tones to contend with.)

7. jhfishn

jhfishn In Memoriam

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Well if that’s your style I think the Mesa

You can get the good tube distortion

the Eich is on the very clean sound and the Trickfish more mid range

more than likeley my dial setting but I could never get the Trickfish to be warm

Sounds like I’m bashing Trickfish bad but I’m not. My thought is the Trickfish lent itself way more to jazz with the emphasis on solo playing. I’m more for the ensemble and I couldn’t get it to mix subtlety. Again probably my bad however it’s a piece of cake either Mesa and Eich.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  8. jhfishn

jhfishn In Memoriam

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ

9. uninc4life2010

uninc4life2010

Aug 12, 2023
    I think you're spot on with the Jazz comment. If you look on TF's website, they showcase a Jazz player using that amp. Also, a prominent Jazz bassist designed the preamp. My guess is that for Jazz or Neo-Soul, maybe even gospel, it's second to none. However, for my style of playing, I think you're right in that the Mesa is a better fit.