Trying to Decide on Bass (possibly Schector)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RevengeIseek, Feb 7, 2005.

1. I am going to be purchasing a bass in alittle under a month. I was leaning toward shector from good things i have heard about it. These are the 3 i am looking at currently.

Schecter Stiletto Studio 5

Schecter Stiletto Elite 5

Ibanez SRX705 5

...I play in a metal band but I want it to be a versitile bass. I can save up more money than this if i need too. So i would appreciate some imput or suggestions on other basses. Thank you in advance

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
  3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I'm not sure that the Schectors will give you what you need if the primary focus is metal (however, I'm not well versed with Schectors). The Spector Josh mentioned is a little more versatile. Most Ibanez SRX basses are kick-*ss instruments, lots of power with pretty thin necks and tight string spacing. I used an SRX505 for three years as my primary gigging bass and was generally impressed with it. I only recently stopped using it when I went to a 6er (now I never play it anymore at all, trying to off-load it).

Consider the Spector :cool:
  4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I saw the Schecter display at NAMM and thought it was great. Schecter is putting out some really nice instruments. Given the choice, I'd easily pick them over Ibanez.
  5. do you think that bass would be good for slapping also (the schector)..and thanks for the imput guys. more comments are welcome
  6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Your asking for a bass that slaps good and is good for metal? Honestly, I would get 2 different basses, 1 for each purpose. Your asking a lot from a single bass, IMHO.
  7. well im not sure. I just want a pretty versitile bass I guess...well my favorite band mudvayne which is metal and ryan the bassist slaps quite a bit but he uses a warwick thumb.
  8. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well, I am kind of biased and will usually suggest a Spector. A Euro (not LX) would cover both of your issues very well, but are not in the same price range. But, out of the 3 that you are looking at I would suggest the Stiletto Studio due to the 18v pre and the added mid control, which can help a lot in dialing in the perfect slap tone. I'm also not fond of Ash bodies, which rules out the Ibanez. But, that's just me.

I actually considered getting a Stiletto Studio as an inexpensive backup when I only had the one Spector Euro.
  9. man im in a bind i dont know if i should just save up more and get a better bass.
  10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I own the Stiletto Elite 4 and IMO its an awesome metal bass. I'm not big on slapping but a friend of mine slaps and he thinks my bass has an awesome slap tone for what its worth.
  11. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Schecter makes a Blasko signature bass; is that heavy metal enough? Here is a good looking Schecter CV-4 that will go for under $350. (No bids, no reserve, $250 opening bid, 100% feedback)

Here's a Specter Q5 for $300

I've owned several Schecter guitars and basses - very nice. I bet the Spectors are just as well built.

Attached Files:

12. what do you guys think about the spector legend 5
  13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    It's awesome, I have a legend-6. I would also suggest upgrading the pups to EMG-45DC and the pre to a Tone Pump or an Aguilar OBP-1. Then it pretty much sounds like a Euro bolt-on (if they made one, not to be confused with a Rebop!)
  14. so shouldnt i just consider the rebop since it already has the preamp
  15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Yes and no, it's a cost issue. It's cheaper to upgrade a Legend with pups and a pre than it is to add the pups to a Rebop. It's totally up to you. If you can afford it, get the Rebop and add the 40-DC's.
  16. its all about me being patient with saving my money i will be gettin 150-200 a week. So roll the suggestions. How much do you think i should spend I got a GK1001rb and new cabs a few months ago so i dont need an amp. all my cash will go to a bass. so how much do you think i should spend on a bass.
  17. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    The Legend 5 I played, the B string was terrible. Flopped around like a fish out of water! The Rebop however sings!!
  18. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That's pretty weird. It could have been the strings or something, maybe the B was stretched out. I have the single Legend-6 among 4 other Euro's and it plays fine.
  19. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Here's my take... you want a bass that will have a nice upper midrange-y cut to it so you aren't competeing for freq, range with your guitarists in your metal project, but you want something with versatile electronics so you can tweak around with other stuff......BUUUUT you're ALSO gonna want something with slightly wider string spacing so you can dig in a bit for Slapping. I strongly Suggest a Lakland Skyline. You can get the lower range model for aroung $600 bucks, and it's an awesome bass (Check out OTEP). You will be alble to switch between loud slap and metal fingerstyle quickly by using the midrange knob.......At least try one out before buying a schecter or Ibanez......this is a much better instrument.....