1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to expand playing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by deegenerate, Aug 20, 2012.

1. deegenerate

deegenerate

Jul 21, 2012
    I've always played punk style bass. Not the super simple stuff a la Ramones, but the more melodic bass such as Damned, Buzzcocks, Rancid, Stiff Little Fingers. I feel like Ive hit a wall as far as progression so I thought learning a different style would help break me through it. I'm really debating between picking up a jazz or a blues bass book. I'm still going to be playing the same style in bands, so which would help me more- jazz or blues bass?

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
  3. Bass Mentor

Bass Mentor

Apr 30, 2012
    Nashville Tennessee
    endorsing artist: Lava Cable, E&O Mari, Rupert Neve Designs
    Go for jazz....I do love the blues equally to be sure....but with good jazz study you will learn about how what and why of chord progressions and the very elements of what makes up all types of music...you will benefit even if you never play jazz... good luck!

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Start with the blues it is the foundation of jazz and all other modern music, it is a lot easier to get into studying and playing with others especially in my region. Jazz cats are a little less common in my region. I would most definitely recommend you eventually get yourself into jazz though, just once you have a better understanding of theory basics.

What do you like to listen to more jazz or blues?

5. deegenerate

deegenerate

Jul 21, 2012
    I like both. I will admit that I'm not that familiar with anything more then the more popular artists of either genre. I'm familiar with the standard 12 bar blues and some variations of it already.

I'm basically choosing between:
    Beginning Jazz Bass by by Dominik Hauser (I really like the MI books going through his Bass Blueprints one right now)
    Total Jazz Bassist by David Overthrow
    Total Blues Bassist

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I would recommend John Goldsby Jazz Bassists book, but I don't know how available it is in USA.

If your looking for something to teach you all about music and theory I would highly recommend Mark Levine's Jazz Book, it is more so for piano as it uses F and G clef but it will teach you the ins and out of music.

7. deegenerate

deegenerate

Jul 21, 2012
    I am trying to learn more about theory which is why I was thinking jazz. I've played for 15 years but learned everything by ear playing along with songs. I took lessons for a while, but with two bands and work I don't have the time anymore. I have always got by playing by ear, but would like learn the concepts behind what I'm doing.

I took a look at the book you recommended. Unfortunately, reading music is on my list of things eventually....

8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Blues doesn't require much understanding of harmonic theory, jazz demands it. How much that will aid punk lines I can't say.

I would keep in mind that every style has a rhythmic tradition that is worth understanding, in addition to any harmonic/ scale theory. The feel of any style comes as much form the rhythm as the notes chosen. There is a lot of very cool things to be learned on the rhythm end, too.

9. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    I agree with the blues. Even when you get advanced with jazz some pros will want to see that you have the blues foundation first. It really is all about the blues, and its also easier to begin with and will provide a nice transition to more complex jazz harmonies.

10. AndrewFord

AndrewFord

Aug 11, 2012
    Los Angeles area
    Endorsing Artist: Line 6, TC Electronics, Yamaha, Elixir Strings
    Really does not matter what you start with so much, one thing will probably lead you to another, you just need to start, not procrastinate and stay with it. There are many different paths to the destination but as you get older, more set in your ways, more experienced in your favorite style, and busier with other things in life it becomes harder to make learning new concepts a priority, and not only learning about them, learning enough to incorporate them in your playing. What you put in is what you will get out. With books, youtube, internet, dvds, there are tons of resources. Like Nike says, just do it.