1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to explain yourself...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Jan 19, 2012.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Have you ever come across a TB thread you were somewhat involved in and in order to better explain something to fellow TB'ers, needed to take a picture to post on the thread? And then at some point in that process, your significant other walked in and asked "What are you doing?" And then at the point, knowing how little she understands about bass gear and even less about what happens on Talkbass, you were at a loss for words which led her to suspect some nefarious dealings?

Anyone ever get that? :bag:

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I just tell my wife, "blaa didee blaa didee blaa", because that's all she really hears, even when I try to explain.

3. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Man, what sort of position were you IN taking that pic??

4. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    As long as my pants aren't down around my ankles, everything's cool!

X8

5. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    LOL :bassist:

I just meant like the whole act of getting up from the seat at the computer, walking down to the basement to grab whatever it is you need, taking the picture and uploading it to the computer and posting it. I could try to explain "hey I'm just taking a picture of this strange thing I haven't touched in months so I can post it on Talkbass" and she's all like "whaaaaa???" because the whole concept just blows her mind. It's rather funny I think.

6. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Oooooh, I get it. Yeah, I used to run into that a lot. That has all stopped, though, since she has found an online forum about some line of beauty products she is obsessed with. Now I will catch her posting from time to time about her latest empty bottles. Empty. Bottles.

So now I think the wifey and I understand one another about the forum thing.

7. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    See if I got her hooked on some forum she would want to be on the computer while I'm Talkbassing it up! LOL Can't have that!

8. Wrilley

Wrilley

Jan 2, 2012
    Detroit, MI USA
    I laughed at this so dang hard :D

9. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I've become very secretive over the past 20 years just because I HATE explaining things to people. It probably seems that I'm up to no good, but I'm really just avoiding the lengthy explanation that wont make any sense to the other person anyway! Try encapsulating in layman terms why you needed to take the strings off your bass (or just the middle 2) and give the truss rod a slight turn..... Because the next question after "what are you doing?" will be just that; "Why?" I've tried drawing what I'm trying to explain, but I still get the "I don't get it" look.

I don't understand why people gotta be all up in my business! :bag:

10. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Ouch... a single computer household! I am glad I have a geeky job that allows me to justify multiple servers and laptops lying all over the place.

Man, you have no IDEA how many times that has cracked me up as well! I would try to dig up some more of the more entertaining aspects of this particular cosmetics line, but you gotta understand that those people are FANATICAL... I am afraid of what they might do to me!

To give you an idea, I have on more than one occasion walked in to see my wife fully engaged in a two hour QVC Philosophy (that's the brand name) marathon. Imagine two hours of listening to yammering about the latest and greatest scents and facial gizmos and God knows what else.... and I just go :eyebrow: I cannot even begin to imagine the appeal, but it gives me considerable leeway with my forum activities.

Sorry to derail, but I have NEVER been able to talk about the Philosophy cult with anyone till today :D