Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trying to figure out how to wire a custom cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by patrickj, May 24, 2005.

1. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm working out the design for a custom 4x10 and 1x18 and I'm having a terrible time trying to figure out how to wire the damn thing. The cabinet is going to be an 8x10 fridge size with seperate chambers for the 10s and 18.

I'd like to wire the cabinet with 3 inputs:

1) HIGH -> signal into the 10s
    2) LOW -> signal into the 18

(for crossover purposes)

3) FULLRANGE -> one signal drives the whole thing (10 & 18 - for when I'd rather not lug around a huge amp)

Is this doable? Has anyone ever pulled something like this off? I'm sure it's possible but I've been doing a bit of testing and I can't figure out a circuit to do this.

Suggestions?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I'd thought about switches but I can see wear/tear/abuse being a potential problem. And it would add at least one more potential breakdown spot for the signal chain.

Anyone know how Ampeg wired this thing?

[​IMG]

4. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    Asuming you're using an external xover, why not have the high and low inputs as twin sockets each (paralled up), and the full range socket could be the same, and then you could use patch leads to connect up ie straight into the high and low sockets from the crossover, or for full range into the full range socket, then patch out to the other two( ie 2 patch leads) I f you had each compartment as 8 Ohms, then the split would obviously be 8 per side, and full range would be 4Ohms total. I know it seems cumbersome,and uses three double sockets, but I can't think of any other way.

5. markfsy

markfsy

May 14, 2005
    Suffolk, England
    I've just had a look on the Ampeg website, and the back panel of their 8x10 has 5 sockets, two of which are just outs(parralelled). I t looks as though the two chambers are wired in parallel via the two sockets, but one has a "break" function so that when a jack is inserted into one socket it breaks the connection between the two, making each socket connect to each chamber serarately, , but when a jack is inserted into the other, then you've got both paralled up. They still end up with 4 ohms separate, 8 ohms mono . You just need to find a jack socket with the right make/break function