Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying to figure out them hertz freq. for notes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sprinkler, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    excerpt from an equaliser sold by carvin:
    1/3 Octave Center Freq: 25,31.5, 40, 50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, 200, 315, 400, 500, 630, 800, 1k, 1.25k, 1.6k, 2k, 2.5k, 3.15k, 4k, 5k, 6.3k, 8k, 10k, 12.5k, 16k, and 20k

Let's see now...
    I know 1 frequency, that's the A note, which is 440 hertz(an octave higher than the A note on a bass) so let's start from that. that's between 400 and 500, so let's go an octave lower. the first A note on a 4-string is thus around 175 hertz.
    let's hop to the E note. i'll take 1/3 octave lower, and some.
    let's say.... 135 hertz.
    B note: i'll start from the A note, cause, that's more precise than the E.
    that's a little less than 1 octave lower.
    i'd say 70 hertz.
    low f# : like E, i'll take 1/3 octave lower, and go a little lower... 54 hertz

Is this about right? I thought it would be a little lower... more like F#= 32 hertz or so...
    does anyone have a list with the freqs?

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Just search the web for 'note frequencies' or similar. They are easy to find.

3. Sprinkler

Jul 31, 2002
  4. Sprinkler

Jul 31, 2002
    grmpf, i'm loosing it!

so A is 440, A on a bass 220,
    E on a bass 164, B 123.????????????

or is it more like this

A=440, first A note on guitar 220, A on bass 110, E 82, B 61 ??? looks more like it to me

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the fundamental of the bass guitar low e is ~41 hz. low b is ~30.

since this is not specifically bass related, i'm moving this over to misc.

6. When someone says A 440, they mean the A above middle C. (Middle C is the C one ledger line above the bass clef staff, or one line below the treble clef staff. Remember that bass parts are written an octave higher in sheet music to make them easier to read.) The fundamental of your A string is actually 55 hertz, and John has given the approximations for your E and B strings (they have some numbers after the decimals.)

7. Not entirely true. Bass guitar parts are written an octave higher but tuba and other symphony instruments are written in their actual clef location - usually below the staff.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

but as we started discussing instrument range :
    [​IMG]

9. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Just to clear things up a bit every note is 2 to the power of -12 (1.059463) times the frequency of the last note, (meaning every 12 notes or every octave the frequency doubles or is multiplied by 2) i.e. middle c 261.6 Hz. x 2-12 = c# 277.2 Hz.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, in those two pages that were linked for the frequencies, there's the same numbers, but for one the numbers are for an ovtave lower?

D#8/Eb8 4978.03 6.9

as compared to

d#7 4978.032 111

huh? Why are they different? Am I reading these wrong?
    Thanks..

11. Sorry, that's what I actually meant to say. :) I'm also a brass player so I'm familiar with the exciting world of transposed parts.

Also, Jazz Ad: Where did you get that chart? It's quite nifty, though I can play quite a bit lower than that on trombone. French horn outdoing my low end, indeed!

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't remember where I got it from.
    I was looking for informations about instrument range and found it.

I use it a lot to write arrangements for my band.
    Horns are still a mistery to me, so this chart really helps.

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Also not entirely true. Bass guitar and string bass are written 1 octave higher than sounding pitch.

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Another factor to bear in mind is that a given 'note' consists of a fundamental pitch and a series of overtones:

X 2X 3X 4X... etc

The blend of these different harmonics produces the character of the sound. I even recall reading somewhere that with one bass that was tested, it appeared that the second frequency in the series was stronger than the fundamental pitch.

This has got two applications:

1. When you're playing harmonics you're touching the string at various invisible nodes along its length. These filter out the vibrations of the lower parts of the series, which is why they get higher and quieter as you play higher harmonics.

2. Even when a speaker is inefficient at handling the base frequencies of low notes, there are often enough clues left for the ear to figure out the differences between them. For example, The open E is made up (roughly) of 40, 80, 120, 160... Hz - The octave above it starts at 80 and goes up 160, 240, 320... Hz. Roll off the response below, say, 100Hz and you'll probably still be able to hear and distinguish both notes reasonably clearly.

Wulf

15. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was true for all bass guitars when the EQ is set flat. IIRC, it tends to be at least twice as loud. Increasing the volume of the fundamental and 2nd harmonic and so on makes the note sound more 'fat', but we can still hear the notes clearly without them. For example, when you hear the low bass notes on your average boombox you're probably not hearing either the fundamental or the 2nd harmonic.