Trying to figure out what combo to get...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drei, May 13, 2004.

1. Drei

May 11, 2004
    I've been playing bass for about a year, and recently I started jamming with a band. To make a long story short... my crate BX-15 combo is not loud enough, especially because i don't play that hard.

I'm looking to get a new combo amp so that i can at least hear myself. I want to get something around 100 watts with a warm, full tone (I play finger-style). I was wondering what people here think is the best choice (brand, speaker size, price, wattage, sound, reliability, etc.).

I'm going to go try out used amps and see which one I like anyway... but i just though I'd ask.
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Ampeg B100R, Peavey TNT, or Yorkville XM200 would be good choices.

Hope that helps. :hyper:
  3. level_1

Apr 18, 2004
    Central CA
    I have an older Yorkville BM200 which I have used for many years. It has never let me down. IMO the Yorkville XM200 would be a good combo for a start and for years after. Go play through a bunch of them before you decide. Good luck.
  4. Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    Where can I get these Yorkville's? Both of the local GCs don't carry them, and the Sam Ash website doesn't list any but I can call the 2 local ones. Musician's Friend is the only online retailer i can find but they usually don't have the best prices. Anyone know of any place in Los Angeles that has these?
  5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ashdown Electric Blue, or even MAG if you can pick one at a decent price. Believe me or not, but at least you should try one to make an opinion. They're worth every penny you pay for them, and even much more.
  6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have an Ampeg B-100R that I would highly recommend. It excells at the kind of tone you said that you wanted and has a great Retro look. I've had mine for four years without a hint of trouble and it is fairly easy to transport. Get a good protective cover for it.