Trying to figure out what effects I need...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RBS_Johnson, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hello all,

Maybe need is a strong word, as I`ve gotten along fine so far. I`m currently playing blues, leaning towards the harder rock side of things. In the past I`ve played rock, jazz, metal, even a little country and gospel. I`ve decided it`s time to get some pedals together instead of buying another bass.

Any suggestions on a basic compliment of effects? And some mid priced pedals to try out? I`m not certain I will even use these so I don`t want to spend a small fortune. I also think a volume pedal would help with my amp(two channels always on with no master volume).

As of now, the list:
    Volume pedal - ?
    Tuner - Korg Pitchblack
    Fuzz - Idiotbox Ron Swanson Super Fuzz
    Overdrive - Mr. Black Bass OD
    Chorus - T-Rex The Sweeper
    Octave - Mooer Tender Octaver MkII

It would help if all the links in the must read post weren`t broken :dead:
    Thanks,
    Jake

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  3. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    If I were playing your styles, I’d get these items:

Tuner -> OD -> Fuzz -> compressor -> amp

Also a power brick of some kind to power it all.

And I’d call it a day. But your final needs may call for chorus or octave. Up to the music.

I own these from that list.
    Korg Pitchblack (tuner)
    COG Knightfall 66 (2 ODs in the unit)
    Vick Audio Black Russian (Fuzz)
    Keeley Bassist (comp)
    Hot stone Deluxe (pedal power brick)

4. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  5. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    ^This.

Edit: The MBD-1 is such a versatile drive pedal, that you can definitely use it in a variety of musical styles, including rock, metal and country.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    theunknowndude and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  6. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Personally, I'd pick:

Dunlop Volume X Mini
    Boss TU-3W
    SGFX Beta Deluxe (or maybe the Way Huge Pork Loin?)
    MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe
    MXR Bass Octave Deluxe (or the 3Leaf Octabvre but the MXR is more budget friendly)

I've had issues in the past so I won't buy an EHX pedal so I'd go with the Way Huge Russian Pickle.

You could skip the overdrive and fuzz and get the new Way Huge Pork & Pickle instead.

7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Depends on if you're getting any overdrive from your amp.

If not, then for just regular overdrive/distortion, I'd go with a Dunwich Olde Dirty Bass.

I've never used octave or chorus. The fuzz you have listed is a good one. I use it for Yesterday's News, which depending on the kind of venue we're playing, is anything from folk to old school rock.

As far as tuners go, D'Addario has one now that's smaller, but I use the Boss Tu-3.

The other effect I use a lot of is wah, partly just to make fills stand out more in a rock mix. I use a Morley Dual Bass Wah, but there are other good ones out there.

8. Somnambulance

Somnambulance

Jun 6, 2014
    all of them.

9. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

No overdrive through my amp(solid state). It does have the nice feature of two independent preamps running simultaneously, so I could blend a clean and effects channels together eq-ed different if needed more clean bass/treble, etc.

That MBD1 looks like it would be very nice. I don't think I can justify spending $200 on a single pedal though, especially since I'm hoping to get multiple pedals in a relatively short span of time. I haven't had a chance to check out the other suggestions yet.

-Jake

10. I either have in hand or ordered the pedals on the updated list in the first post. I bought them because of a combination of availability/price and sounds that I liked on various demos. Everything other than the octaver are used. I can post up how I like them once I receive everything if anybody is curious.

Still looking at volume pedals. Alternatively I'm checking into modding my amp to have a master volume, which makes more sense to me as long as it's straightforward.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2021