Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying to find 4-ohm 1X12 cabinets...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgiaHonk, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Who (besides Avatar) makes 1X12 cabinets in a 4-ohm configuration. My amp goes down to 2-ohm loads, and I'm thinking that a pair 1X12s is the way to go for my speaker situation. Thing is, I'd like to have both of them be 4-ohms so I can get the most out of my amp. Most makers that I'm familiar with seem to make 1X12s only in the 8-ohm configuration.

No offense to Avatar, but I don't want to buy them just because they're the only game in town. Any suggestions? How expensive are they? (Money, unfortunately, most definitely is an object. :bawl: )

Thanks in advance,
    Roger

2. i think you'll find the combination of two speakers will create much more volume than whether the total load is 4 or 8 Ohms. i think you should vote with sound first.

robb.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'm with rcz
    you dont know if youre always going to use the same head
    also, it's likley that your amp doesnt put out a lot more at 2 ohms than it does at 4 ohms (if it's not almost double, you wont notice it at all)
    besides, then you could buy 4 8 ohm cabinets and be a monster :D

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ampeg Portabass?

Flite could probably make you one...

I suppose that Low Down Sound could too...

5. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Two thoughts...

The Avatar is actually a decent sounding cab...don't avoid it just cuz.

You amp might not be all that happy at 2 ohms anyhow.

6. his amp head is a peavey max 450; it's very happy at 2 Ohms. it's 450W at 2 Ohms versus 300W at 4 Ohms. having two cabinets will make a much bigger difference than having a 2 Ohm load instead of 4 Ohms.

robb.

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I concur...

Since the power output difference isn't enough (in theory) to make a noticable volume difference, I'd go with two 8 ohm cabinet to allow the amp to run a little bit cooler (if it was my rig)...

8. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Mesa makes a 1-12 4ohm cab with a downward firing radiator that has a lot of thump. $499 It is an extension for the Walkabout Scout combo.

9. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    THere are 2 Acme B1's on the bay at present...but hurry!

10. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Euphonic Audio Wizzy 112[​IMG]

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dang, you beat me to it! At any rate, the Wizzy is an amazing little cab. I've posted plenty on it, if you want to hear more.

Another option is to have Don at Low Down Sound build you a custom 1x12. I've heard a number of his cabs, and they are very well made and sound quite good.