1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to find a Dave Brubeck television performance from the 70s or 80s

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob_Ross, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Been having no luck searching youtube or Google, thought maybe I'd tried here (since I've come across so many other TB members who remembered some of the same Soundstage episodes I first watched in my teens).

Sometime in the mid- to late-1970s, or perhaps very early 1980s, I saw a show on the PBS station featuring Dave Brubeck and his sons Chris on bass & trombone, Danny on drums, & Darius on keyboards. I distinctly remember Chris playing a fretless Rickenbacker 4001, and Darius playing some ARP synthesizers and maybe a Fender Rhodes electric piano. They performed a number of classic Brubeck (and Desmond) numbers.

But then there was a segment -- which I'm pretty sure had been videotaped at another time/location -- of a dance number that Dave had written the music for. For some reason I want to say the choreographer was Merce Cunningham, but I could be wrong about that. Maybe it was Murray Louis?

The thing that was especially memorable about this dance number though was I remember they said it had been choreographed first ...and then Dave wrote the music to fit the finished dance.

The music was a bit martial, almost angular: Straight eighths, no swing, more modernist than jazz per se. In hindsight my (admittedly hazy) recollection is that both rhythmically and harmonically it was Copland-esque. I also remember listening to Chick Corea's "Where Have I Danced With You Before" from Return To Forever's Where Have I Known You Before album thinking "hey, this sounds kinda like that Dave Brubeck piece that he wrote to fit the dance!"

Anyway... Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    I would love to see/hear that Brubeck dance number again.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I remember this particular show, Bob.
    ...especially the young Brubeck playing Jazz with a Ric.

4. There is a recent YouTube video of The Brubeck Brothers including Chris on the fretless Ric. Perhaps there's a link to more videos including the ones you're seeking.