Trying to find a Yamaha Blade J pickup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rs920, Nov 3, 2011.

1. rs920

rs920

Apr 22, 2011
    any suggestions ?

2. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009
    No specific suggestions, but it seems you will find one because it seems as if about a third of all the older BB series basses that came with them, were "upgraded" (???) to EMGs. So there must be some of those original ones around various guys' bass parts drawer.

But I could never understand why these were often replaced at all. I have an '82 BB3000S and I think the original set of passive P-J (blade J) pickups sound great, especially through an all tube head. They are very 'flat EQ' sounding pickups that don't have a lot of wow factor, like say a MusicMan Stingray, or another bass with an active preamp. But these pickups take EQ really well...when you bump up your amp's bass it stays clear. And the notes sound even and consistent in tone up and down the neck. Really clear but punchy through an SVT-II that I have.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021