Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trying to find Jamaladeen Tacuma

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by godoze, Jan 6, 2003.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I know he lives outside of Philadelphia... Does anyone know him ?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Yes he's a very good friend of mine and he lives in Warnock PA.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    He's the boss of the bass.

4. I bought that "Boss of the bass" album for £2.
    I didn't like it at all- the songwriting's a bit cheesy -also he uses synth bass instead of electric on several songs.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I was being a bit feces-ish...
    ;) - there, that's better.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

He has much better recordings.if your not familar with his work he has about 10 solo CD's and his work with Ornette Coleman,and his sideman work is just as interesting and worth checking out.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like him in Ulmer's Music Revelation Ensemble; the Prime Time stuff, too...though I was not a big fan of the Steinberger tone.
    Anything with that Ornette/harmolodic vibe(i.e. "Everyone is a frontline player") is "OK" by me.
    ;)

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Just by coincidence before I read this,I spoke with Blood ulmer this afternoon,and was informed that he Jamaladeen,and drummer Calvin weston will be kicking off a tour in March of this year.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    G. Calvin Weston is baaaddddddddd!

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  11. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    he's actually in SW Philly. If anyone's in Philly on friday, I'll be playing with Calvin at Tritone (15th & south streets). You can usually catch Jamaal in there once a month.

12. I did a search on J.T. recently to try and find his wherabouts. All I came up with were a bunch of European Festival sites with no English translations!

Can Jaquo or tomtom, etc. tell me if Jamaladeen is making a living playing music full time still? I'd heard street rumors that he'd given up and was working a day job.

His album," Rennaisance Man" is a great one. It's free jazz/funk-ish. It's available on CD combined with another albume but I can't remember which one :-(

Thanks for any additional info on Tacuma!

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Not at all,the rumors are false I got an E-mail from guitarist JP bourrelly today and he told me that they did a gig together in Philly about a week ago.I have known Jamaaladeen for close to 20 years and he pretty much dosen't know anything else other than music.He will be kicking off a tour with guitarist JB Ulmer,and Drummer Calvin Weston in March(and this is what Blood told me just a few days ago)Jamaaladeen is one of the busiest Bassist to come along in the last 20 years.maybe not a house hold name but surely a much respected insider.he spends a lot of time out of the U.S. and for good reason.

p.s.
    I put godoze in touch with JT this morning.

14. Jauquo! Thank you so much! I'm a big fan of his long ago work and wanted to catch up on his music. I really appreciate you filling us in. I'm happy that he's still appreciated and giggin' steadily.

I have one last question...How can I follow his career from here on out? Does he have a webpage? Should I start monitoring Philly Newspapers' arts sections?

As for yourself? Any chance you'll be on tour through Seattle this year? I'd love to see you perform!

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
  16. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    he's really not gigging a whole lot, with the exception of the tour in march and a few sporatic local hits. He's been spending a lot of time working on production these days.
    the best place to see him play is a place called Tritone in Philly. check out Citypaper.net

his revolving group is called Jamaaladeen Tacuma's DNA Galleria. Last month it was with Daryll Burge and J.P. Bourelli.

If anyone is around Philly, Tritone has become the spot for creative music.

17. Jauqo..Thanks for the heads up..It's quite difficult to find information on some of these players..And..how exciting to hear of the tour..I love Blood Ulmer.he is a huge inspiration to me and hands down, my favorite guitarist of all time..I saw him years ago at the Nippon Kan Theatre in Seattle, I believe it was the Are You Glad... tour..I also wanted to go see him New Years Eve in NYC..but was unable to..Do you know if he has a web site?? And where can I find out about tour dates?? Also, I would love to see your group sometime..I am seriously considering a move to Chicago in the spring..Much thanks...Chardo..By the way..not to digress from the subject of the post..I love alot of Tacumas work..In particular Tales of Captain Black with JBU....

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    hey !kool contact me if you make that move to Chicago.JBUlmer is a very talented Kat.I will be in
    albuquerque in a few days passing thru on some buisness.

19. Thanks Jauqo and tomtom for updating us on these fine and very underappreciated artists. It feels real good knowing that they're keepin' on keepin' on!:cool:

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Jim T. you are more than welcome.