1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

trying to find motivation to improve again...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by davy4575, Jun 24, 2014.

1. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    So, I looked around but didnt find anything to fit the bill. If youve been playing for a good long while, bad habits piling up but you can groove and can play what you want to play and have it come out live and in the studio the way you want it to....how do you find the motivation to pocket the ego and laziness that creeps in? I constantly feel guilty and kinda crappy in that Im not as hungry to improve technique and theory as I was in the beginning? suggestions?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Can you break the elements of your playing into a couple of techniques? Like say, scales, or chords, or slap things like that. How are you on each one of those elements? What kind of musical style is 180 degrees away from your usual playing style? What can you play in that style? Can you read music? How many different melodies can you play... like folk songs, church hymns, pop songs, patriotic songs? Do you like the sound of your bass? Listen to some music today that you've never heard before... and make up your mind BEFORE you start to listen that you'll listen all the way through 2 times.

davy4575 likes this.
  3. I'm going to a gig this afternoon and play rhythm guitar with a band I've been with for 14 years. Same ole, same ole... ho hum.

I like playing with the guys and that is the main reason I keep showing up. We do have a new keyboard and he is bringing in some new songs. With this band I do not take sheet music on stage so I'm jamming these new songs. That in itself makes it more enjoyable.

To answer your question, find something that makes it more enjoyable. Have no idea what that will be, but, it need not be earth shaking. Leave the sheet music at home, or stand in a new "spot"...... wear a hat..... sing backup... take a lead break...

Anything to make it more enjoyable will force you to look for new challenges.

Of course IMO.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    davy4575 likes this.
  4. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    Sometimes, I find even something small helps with that. Any chance of simply trying new strings? Maybe a new (or new to you) bass entirely?