Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trying to find my mode-jo

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by asilentbass, Sep 27, 2003.

1. I cant seem to find how to work different modes into the lines I am playing. I know them all, but when I play I always end up sounding like I hit an off note. Maybe I'm just retarded but I would really like to find the corellation between modes and scales and know when to change it up.

2. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Your best bet is to practice your modes over certain chords to see how they react to each other. To me each chord/scale has its own sound and feel. If it sounds right use it, if not then i doubt anyone will enjoy it.

3. That's just what I was thinking, but I haven't found any that work at all. I feel like I just started playing again and cant hit a right note. Are there any examples of songs or sheet music out there?

4. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    aint that hard.

Ionian or Lydian over Maj7

Dorian, Phrygian, or Aeolian over m7

Mixolydian over dom7

Locrian over m7(b5)

I'm guessing you've just covered major scale modes.

You'll have to figure out which minor mode will sound best over m7. It's different all the time.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What is important is understanding the function of each chord in the chord sequence - if you don't understand what the harmony is doing - then knowing every possible mode won't help you - you might as well just be guessing.

6. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    True, but I don't have the time to write it all out.