1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to find out about my yamaha bbn4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by whirlwind, Sep 28, 2009.

1. whirlwind

whirlwind

Aug 17, 2009
    I"ve tried once on here but i"m gonna try again as its driving me mad.
    I Recently got a yamaha BBN4 bass and the serial number dates it to dec 06.
    All the other pics online of bbn4"s have the 2 either side tuner configuration and i"ve yet to see one with the 3 & 1 configuration ( which mine has ) the closest answer i"ve had is that yamaha were given a warning by Ernie Ball regarding the 3 & 1 configuration as they hold the copyright for that headstock configuration which is why yamaha went on to use the 2 either side, whether this is true or not i dont know.
    Considering the bass is only 3 years old they seem to have faded into oblivion and i cant find anything anywhere.
    Is there anyone on here that has owned one of these basses or still own one that can shed some light on the subject.
    Mines the natural colour with the jazz pickups, great sounding bass and light as well so no backache.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    *bump*

3. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    I have one of these bases...it's a BBN4II made in 97...Mine has two tuning keys on each side and was the gloss black color. I just refinished it natural with a tongue oil rub....I am also rewiring the pots to have a jazz bass blend with a single master volume and master tone instead of the two volume knobs....I love the way this bass plays and sounds...Nice neck with a good mid thickness !!!! There is little on the internet about them, why I am not sure.

4. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    BoRadBass, what did you use to remove the original gloss black finish?

5. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    I used a heat gun and a paint scraper with the sharp edges ground down. I heated the paint up then chipped it off.. It was took a few hours, then another few hours of sanding, then another few hours of oil rubbing. But the results were worth it.

6. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    I'm thinking of doing something with my Yamaha BB2004. I've had experience with working from bare wood, but stripping is a headache for me. Have you tried paint stripper on it, and how does that compare to the heat gun?

7. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    I didn't try any strippers (well maybe that 1 on my 18th birthday) . However after allot of reading on guitar, bass and wood finishing forums it is the general consensus that strippers don't really work on thick poly finishes like this. That said the finish on my bass body wasn't all that thick and chipped off easily with a little heat and gentile scraper persuasion. I say go for it Nic

8. Nic.

Nic.

Aug 28, 2009
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advice! The last one I did, I simply sanded like crazy, and I don't want to go through that again.