1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to find that FUZZ with that FUNk

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SlapinDaBass, Oct 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. i am trying to find a nice fuzz mostly used for funk type music have been looking at the chunk systems brown dog and iron ether oxide. I was told to look for a “gated” fuzz if i wanted that funk but need some opinions. Thanks in advance!

Jakeman likes this.
  2. Jakeman

Jakeman Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    New Orleans, LA
    The Oxide is great for this - really can't go wrong with it. I use the TAFM as well with great results, although I mainly use it low-gain without the gate, it clobbers with the gate on. I have my eyes on Darkglass Duality and 3Leaf You're Doom right now for this as well. I love non-muff, gated, synthy fuzzes, so I'll be following this thread...

3. What about b:assmaster ? Seen a few people use it

4. Maestro Brassmaster was very popular, Larry Graham used a Roland JetPhase and many players used an amp with a built in fuzz from Acoustic and Peavey. I personally have used an EHX Bass Balls wiith the fuzz on since way back then for that sound.

sillyfabe and Nunovsky like this.
  5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Prunes & Custard

6. Carrots & celery ..

SlapinDaBass likes this.
  7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. It depends on what your concepts are, I think, of 1. the role of fuzz bass in 2. "funk type music". If someone refers to 'rock type music' without specification, then which of the seven thousand flavors of rock did they mean? Same deal with funk. :)

In ascending chronological order, without any doubt, the archetypes of fuzz bass in funk are Larry Graham and Bootsy Collins. The characteristic work of neither features gated fuzz. But I understand what your advisor meant by suggesting gated fuzz to you: it can be set to a choppy, zero-release-time amplitude envelope that can be used rhythmically.

Though I am no expert on gated fuzz, I can recommend three self-oscillating fuzz pedals that feature gating, and whose sound and operation I like. Here are my mini-reviews of them, including sound clips:

If I were thinking funk, broadly, and did not have a requirement for gating, I would go way back for my fuzz. I would choose a Burns Buzzaround circuit.

The modern example I own (a limited edition of this Arcane Analog model) has a master volume control that was not in the original circuit, is of a fairly small size, and is pretty raw sounding. For funk or otherwise, it is my favorite fuzz pedal. (A more raw take on the Buzzaround was the Dizzy Tone. You can find modern clones, but they are huge and typically don't feature a master volume.)

Once you play fuzzes of that early generation, and feel/hear their raw, enormous bass response and unruliness, most other types of fuzz will seem tame by comparison.

A funky good day to you.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    LukeSlywalker and SlapinDaBass like this.
  8. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    All of the above will work for one flavor of funk or another. Want it to be flabby and envelopey? Prunes. Want it to cut through and sing? B:Assmaster, other octave fuzzes. Want it to sound like a single oscillator synth? Gated (Mammoth type) with some pinch. Want it to sound like Stevie on the clav? I've heard that tone out of the Pharaoh. Moog? I think the Grizzly can do that. The list is pretty broad, but in a great way!

SlapinDaBass likes this.
  9. Larry graham came to mind for the funk sound fuzz i was thinking of.

10. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh then a nice cutting fuzz (brassmaster type, superfuzz type, maybe even fuzzface type) and a phaser oughta do it!

11. Just watched a youtube video with this and im loving what i hear why havent i heard of this? Seems to be a badass sob

Nunovsky and KPO2000 like this.
  12. Yea brassmaster is super rare and expensive but thats why i was thinking bassmaster.

13. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh yeah that is the best brassmaster type fuzz out there anyway!

14. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Diabolik as an affordable sub for B:Assmaster (and my understanding is that it's a bit fatter as well). Tons of bass, punch, cut, tight/gate, and "funky" fuzz character. Put bass/funk wah after it and you're golden.

Nunovsky and KPO2000 like this.
  15. stevej1982

stevej1982

Sep 24, 2013
    Big fan of the 3leaf doom, it's very synth like when used with an octave pedal

16. Malekko is ordered!

lowendrachel and Nunovsky like this.
  17. Congrats on the Malekko.

If you get a chance, also check out Acoustic 360 style of standalone fuzz (BYOC, Viva Analogue, Moosapotamus all have 360 variants maybe there are others out there. )

Prunes & Custard, the B:Assmaster and 360 are all wicked good sounding, IMO.

18. Ill check out that 360...prunes and custard is still on my wishlist

Nunovsky likes this.
  19. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh yeah the 360 fuzz is funky as hell. There is a fun demo of the Moosapotamus on youtube under The Amazing Bass videos.

20. 9B4299AD-8A2A-4F2C-827C-C067CB1DC1FF.

You ever play a pedal and find a setting that makes you zone out to that special place this one did it. Haha This is my new favorite pedal it is insane thats all i can say..insane magic in a box!

Attached Files: