1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to find the right jazz bass...HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coreythebassman, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Hey guys, I'm trying to buy a good jazz bass and I was wondering if anyone has played both the Carvin SB5000 and a Fender American Deluxe that could give me some differences and their opinions...also any other jazz bass style in the price range would also be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

2. Swampman Cory

Swampman Cory

Nov 9, 2009
    Los Angeles / ex-Michigan
    Endorsing Artist: Reunion Blues, 64 Audio, Mesa Engineering
    Are you looking for a five string? Any other things you care about, such as active/passive?

3. Coreythebassman

Coreythebassman Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Lookin for a 5er, right now open to both active and passive suggestions...Thanks!

4. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    I too would like to hear from someone who has played both. I just tried out the new American deluxe jazz V and I loved it. The neck is smooth and thin with great playability and the tone was great. But I haven't played a SB5 and I've been hearing how they are the "super jazz" bass. And please don't give me the "bang for your buck" speech... I'm interested in the better bass, not the money I could save.

5. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    if i was at this point, i would not give two hoots about someone elses opinion.. its you who is buying the bass :)

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Build quality is really on par between American Standard (passive) and American Deluxe (active/passive) yet, if you're lookin' for passive only, better a 4er, and nothin' better than an American Standard Jazz (rosewood or maple fingerboard is just up to your likings)

Better a 4er, if you favor passive, for B string is not Fender best offering, but it is easily coped by the proficient Deluxe electronic if you need, like I understood, the B string.

So, if you prefer a 5er, go for an American Deluxe: you got 21 fret necks with big block and bound fingeboards and a three band equalizer that can get easily disengaged with a switch.

Then you retain premium tonewoods, precise HimassVintage stringthru bridge and present Noiseless3 electronic is maybe the best Fender's ever made.

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. I tried out some American Standard 5ers and the B was very good IMHO. Personally I like more the Am. Std. than the Deluxe, but that´s just me.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you are going to get a 5er I would go with Carvin, only because every Fender B I have seen leaves a lot to be desired while the Carvin B is actually awesome.