1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to get a fat sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moonman5952, Mar 29, 2011.

1. moonman5952

moonman5952

Dec 22, 2009
    La Porte TX
    I recently bought an Ibanez 505, I'm trying to get a vintage sound off this beast. Im running it through a Promethian amp and attempting to play reggae. Any suggestions?

2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Favor the neck pickup, use flatwound strings or old roundwounds, play near the neck, or even over it.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Flats. Preferably Labella Deep Talkin' flats more than six months old. And as noted above, use the neck pickup, play fingerstyle and keep your hand away from the bridge. Play hearer the neck.

4. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    Bartolini pickups like those you have in your SR aren't great at sounding vintage -- they're better-suited to modern sounds. However, as a starting point, try the following:

- Flatwound strings.
    - Use the neck pickup exclusively.
    - Kill the treble on your onboard preamp, boost the bass and slightly cut the mids.
    - Play with your thumb (the fleshy part, not the tip), as far away from the bridge as you think you can get away with.
    - Mute the strings with your palm (or install foam mutes on your bridge).

I'm pretty sure adding a VT bass pedal with specific settings will reggae up your tone too, but I have no idea which settings those are, as I don't play reggae and tend to use my VT for overdriven trebly goodness, which I'm fairly sure you don't want ;)

5. Kinetic Monkey

Kinetic Monkey

Mar 28, 2011
    Swansea
    Most people associate "vintage" with rolling off the treble. If you have a tone control, lower it, and if you have eq, turn the highs down, and the bass up.

As well as the techniques explained by the other guys, remember that a lot of the old reggae guys played downstrokes with their thumb.

6. moonman5952

moonman5952

Dec 22, 2009
    La Porte TX
    thanx

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021