1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to get a specific tone with my J-bass.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, Dec 1, 2003.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey guys I have a Hwy 1 J bass and am looking to get a certain tone.

I am trying to come somewhat close to a Flea (Modulus), or even MusicMan type of tone. A good reference would be Flea's sound in the song "By the Way".Both guitars utilize the same type pup so i guess a better question would be how to attain that Stingray/Modulus humbucker tone.

I know the easiest answer is "go buy a Modulus" or "go buy a SR", however I dont have that kind of money. What kind of pup choices or maybe even a pre-amp/stompbox could get me in that neighborhood?

I was thinking of some DiMarzio Model J pups and maybe a SABDDI or Ampeg SVP preamp.

Thanks for any help

2. Umm, both the Stingray and Flea modulus have a large humbucking pickup in the sweetspot. You said you have a Jazz bass, which is two J pickups.

You could do your best to come close, but you will never get your jazz to sound like a stingray or vice versa, different pickup placement and number of pickups.

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Right, I realize that I wont be able to copy the tone exactly, all I am trying to do is take my J-Bass in that direction. Just a fat, gritty kind of tone.

On guitars you can buy single coil sized humbuckers that replicate a humbucker decently. Looking to do something similar but with J-Bass pickups and possibly a preamp or stomp box.

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Maybe try wiring the pickups in series or adding a series/parallel switch to it. That may give you teh fatter humbucking sound

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    thanks KB, that is a good idea!