Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying to get a specific tone with my J-bass.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MascisMan, Dec 1, 2003.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Hey guys I have a Hwy 1 J bass and am looking to get a certain tone.

I am trying to come somewhat close to a Flea (Modulus), or even MusicMan type of tone. A good reference would be Flea's sound in the song "By the Way".Both guitars utilize the same type pup so i guess a better question would be how to attain that Stingray/Modulus humbucker tone.

I know the easiest answer is "go buy a Modulus" or "go buy a SR", however I dont have that kind of money. What kind of pup choices or maybe even a pre-amp/stompbox could get me in that neighborhood?

I was thinking of some DiMarzio Model J pups and maybe a SABDDI or Ampeg SVP preamp.

Thanks for any help

2. Umm, both the Stingray and Flea modulus have a large humbucking pickup in the sweetspot. You said you have a Jazz bass, which is two J pickups.

You could do your best to come close, but you will never get your jazz to sound like a stingray or vice versa, different pickup placement and number of pickups.

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Right, I realize that I wont be able to copy the tone exactly, all I am trying to do is take my J-Bass in that direction. Just a fat, gritty kind of tone.

On guitars you can buy single coil sized humbuckers that replicate a humbucker decently. Looking to do something similar but with J-Bass pickups and possibly a preamp or stomp box.

4. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Maybe try wiring the pickups in series or adding a series/parallel switch to it. That may give you teh fatter humbucking sound

5. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    thanks KB, that is a good idea!