1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to get away from tubes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrendanH, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I'm trying to get away from tubes and get into something lighter, but I really don't want to sacrifice too much sound to do so. For awhile I was using an Orange Terror Bass but it just wasn't working for me. I went back to using a Traynor YBA-1, which has a little less headroom than I'd like but is a great amp overall. Here are a couple of clips of my band:

Yoma ()'s sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I play a P/J and would like something in the lightweight variety that can get me somewhere near that tone, but I really have no direction. Whenever I look into finding a "tubelike" lightweight amp, I typically find that what people like about tubes may not be the same as me, and therefore their recommendations just don't work. So, if anyone can help me with those cheesy basement recordings in mind, that would be great! I'm not saying that those recordings contain my ideal, perfect sound, but they definitely get in the vicinity and sum up around what I would like.

2. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Those are nice pieces, thanks for sharing. Kinda reminds me a bit of Godspeed, albeit with heavier guitar tones...

You could easily cop those bass tones I'm hearing with a Mesa Walkabout. Whether you'd dig the feel/response is another thing. Honestly I can't really tell it's a tube amp you're using on those two tracks, a lot of solid-state amps could get you those bass tones.

3. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Have you looked into the GK MB Fusion? All-tube preamp, but a Class D power amp section makes the whole unit tiny and lightweight (~5lbs I think). I picked one up a few weeks ago, have been loving it.

--

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg PF350, PF500 or especially the SVT 7 Pro.

Yeah, I'm an endorser...what do you expect? ;) But seriously, they are terrific at copping both tubey dirt and tubey clean sounds. The 7 Pro's the one IMHO, but the PF heads also have a lot of what I like about tube amps at a lower price.

5. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    +1 on the SVT 7 and lots of headroom

6. 'nother +1 for the 7 pro. Sounds very similar to my old SVT IINP

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I'd say the Markbass LMIII is worth checking out. Very tube-like tone that's both warm and clean sounding. The Pro7 is also very nice, but it's kinda awkward to carry around and it's no where near as light or small at the LMIII.

8. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    What head are you trying to emulate? There are a ton of smaller amps that cop a great tube tone. I love the sound of Ampeg, but they've had some really serious reliability issues lately, so I switched to a Genz Benz Streamliner 900. I'm really loving the sound of this head! Great, tubey, slightly compressed sound, great tone whether clean or dirty. Full, round bottom end, and crystal highs.

9. +1 SVT 7 Pro

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    There ya go.

11. PatQ

PatQ

May 11, 2011
    Siegburg, Germany
  12. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I am researching them more. SO far, the SVT-7 looks pretty cool. Please don't turn this thread into a TC wattage debate, but strictly tone-wise how about the TC RH450?

13. Also, what about something like throwing a VT bass and a warm compressor (EBS Multicomp?) in front of a solid state amp?

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd also look at the GB Streamliner heads, and the Mesa Walkabout.

15. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    Ampeg 7 Pro and you won't look back. The front end of the 7 also play's nice with pedals (VT, OCD, BigMuff) and it has on board compression that is useful/ effective. I own one based on many recommendation from fellow TB'ers. Money well spent for a quality amplifier.. get out ther and audition one for yourself if you can.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Best to keep clear of them Zombie tubes then! They'll get you every time!!! :D

17. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    like tubes..zombies are everywhere!! ...or is that like zombies ...tubes are everywhere?;)

18. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    The WalkAbout fulfills my needs for a tubey lightweight amp. I'm also curious about the 7 Pro and the Streamliner though.

19. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    Try an older eden metro, they are heavy, but I love it. One side is solid state, the other is bliss...:)

They are incredible amps. I like it over the mesa walkabout. Ymmv.

20. boethius

boethius

Sep 27, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    +100 on the Streamliner 900. I picked one up this past summer and finally sold off my last SVT 2 Pro and couldn't be happier! The tone isn't exactly the Ampeg 6550 power stage tone, but at under 8 lbs, it is pretty close with the right cabs...and I still can tube roll as I like! Fat, punchy, warm, slightly compressed breath and super clean to super dirty. (I do have a 5751 JAN Phillips in V1 and Mullards in V2 and V3.)