trying to get back into things after a looong hiatus.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StrAngE, Jun 2, 2005.

1. StrAngE

Jun 2, 2005
    so after being away from the creative side of music for about 7 or so years now the other day i woke up and feltthe need to start all over again. I went digging through my storage and found my old basses, amp, and effects and such.

Basses are in good shape thank goodness. nothing some new strings and a little polish will not cure.

the amp is a bit more questionable.
    it is a crate b b80xl, it seems to be working ok and has held up to the storage of it for the most part as far as i can tell.
    yeah i know it is a less costly amp. i assume similar to the fender rumble line of amps (those did not exsist ealry 90's) or is it?

So i need opinions, is this Crate in working order worth any $$ and if so should i sell it and apply it to something like a Fender Rumble or swr or should i just keep it and make use of it because it does have a good sound to it.

If i keep it i was considering adding some casters so i could wheel it around instead of busting *** all the time as it's not the lightest thing on the block. i think it is over 100amps but i am not sure as it has been so long now.

anyway, it feels great to be creating again and i hope finding this forum helps fuel the fire even more.

Thanx all for any input or help.

(gotta say walking through guitar center for the 1st time in years was crazy) all computerized and no more 4tracks with tapes, lol)
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've never known Crates to hold much value, so I doubt it's worth much towards a new amp. Having said that, if you like the sound and you don't need more power, why give it up?
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    First off, congrats on getting back into music. At this point in my life, I couldn't imagine leaving it for anything...... back on topic: If you like the tone of the crate amp, and it still functions properly, I see no need to change it out. If you're planning on getting back into gigging you may want to upgrade it at some point to meet your volume requirements.
  4. StrAngE

Jun 2, 2005
    Good points. as of now i guess there is no reason to upgrade. just seeing all the new things out now adays made me wanna break out the wallet and upgrade.

for now there is so much i need to relearn before worrying about being loud enough.

as far as amps do go however what is considered mid to high dollar as well as what is the best bang for the buck now adays.

again thanks and after looking more and more into this forum i think i hit paydirt as far as motivation goes.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Well, as far as cabs go, the most recent "bang for the buck" deal is Avatar.

As far as amplification goes, the big trend these days (to which I am definitely not oblivious :D ) is pre/power setups as opposed to a self-contained head.
  6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There's plenty of fuel here, all-right!

I'll tell you what'd feel great: use the junker-crate to play enough gigs to make enough money to by a new pro Rig - it's like 'pulling yourself up by the bootstraps'! It worked for me ...and what can my wife say about my having spent $1300 on the new rig? Not much - I didn't spend a penny of 'household money' (I'm always out rehearsing, out til all-hours on the weekend, always seem happy and satisfied with life, more confident and sure, care more about my appearance and how I carry myself, I have more friends -- now those things she of course has a problem with...). I still play my junker-bass, though - a new pro bass is NEXT!

I recently quit my band because they wanted to cut-down on the gig schedule (like, to what would add-up to about eight gigs a year!?). I clicked-over to, and over to the classifieds. Right there alone there are like forty-some bassist wanted ads, and about ten of them fit my profile. There's paying work out there for sure! Nest week I'm auditioning for a dance band with a horn section! ..Oh yeah.

Seeya -

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Keep the Crate for practicing at home - its perfectly fine for that. If you join a gigging band, then go out and get yourself something more substantial.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    +1 on keeping the Crate as a spare. It won;t generate enough $$ to worry about and you may be at a point someday where having a gigging rig and a practice amp makes sense.

Far as what to get these days. Nothing particular yet. Just get out and listen to what other folks are using. See if there are any open mic nights around your area. Two things you get - an opportunity to dust off the chops while working with a drummer and an opportunity to maybe try your bass with another person' rig.

There is a huge amount of good gear available today. 15 or 20 years ago there were like 3 decent sounding rigs that you could choose from. Today it's more like 50 or so ...

If I were stating a rig from scratch today I would not start with a pre/power setup. They offer high dollar per watt (until you start adding in allthe other rack gear that you want anyway ...) and lot's of flexibility but there are too many options for most folks to want to sort out.

I'd grab either a GK or an Ampeg or an Eden head, maybe in the 450 to 500 watt range and then probably an Avatar cab to get started. Those three brands pretty much cover the 'sonic spectrum' out there. Most everything else is a nuanced take on one of those three basic sounds. Me I'd do a GK 800 or 700 II used because that is closer to my sound. Nothing wrong with the Eden or the Ampeg though ...

There is a huge amount of good prog gear floating around in the used market. Check here, 'the (once Steve get's it back up and running - they had a nasty hacker atack yesterday ...) and Craigslist as potential sources for used.

I've done fairly well with Guitar Center for recording gear. Their amplification section is pretty limited. The one closest to me does have a full selection of Ampeng and fair amount of SWR in it. I just have a hard time going there as it is so friggin' noisy with not very good player's wanking away at full tilt!

The two salient points here - 1 keep the Crate for what it's worth and 2, listen to a bunch of stuff before you do anything else. Congrats on jumping back into the pool. I was off for a long time, I found that when I got back in I'd lost all my chops but I had become a better listener and thinker which more than compensated for the loss of dexterity. Most anyone can build muscle memory. Not everyone can fathon which note goes where best at a given point in time ... Keep it fun!
  9. StrAngE

Jun 2, 2005
    Again thanx all for the great advice.
    it's feeling great so far and unlike before where i always tried to find time to continue to get back into this . i plan to MAKE time to stay back into it. I am so rusty i do not even recall any of the old covers i used to know. it's like i am starting over almost from scratch.

from this point i will probably slide back and just read in the forums relearning again untill i hopefully know enough to chip in here and there in conversation.

my old drummer came over tonight and we played for the 1st time in years and man it was great. i could not put it into words if i tried.
    we decided if we do continue to go forth with this that this time it might be better for us to find a bassist and let me put all effort into just vocals. seems playing and singing is not working like it used to. i just can't do both at once anymore. lol
  10. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Pft, find a vocalist and keep playing bass :bassist: heheh ;)

Congrats on coming back to music.

Speaker wise, Avatar would be the best bang for the buck. I think for an amp, the Kustom Groove 1200 would be up the top of the list for that as well.

Top quality makers today include: *Speakers* Bergantino, Accugroove, Epifani, Aguilar, Eden (still), Schroeder, Bag End, Acme, LDS, EA, Dr. Bass, Mesa/Boogie and many more. *amps* Aguilar, Eden, Epifani, Mesa, Walter Woods, EA, Thunderfunk, Markbass, Demeter, Ashdown and heaps more.

Of course theres still your SWR, Ampeg and GK sort of companies who still make quality stuff. Theres also the Pre amp/Power amp sort of setup which can yield great and versatile results.

Of course, if your crate is doing you fine, no reason to sell it (Probably wouldn't get much anyway).

Have fun!