1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to get extra watts without giving up on a keeper.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lynott-forever, May 11, 2010.

1. lynott-forever

lynott-forever

Oct 29, 2009
    Canada
    Hey everyone. I recently found a U.S. made Ampeg SVT (SLM!) at a Music Center Canada just outside the city limits. After recovering from mild shock at how rare this is and shelling out the cake, I am very happy to have it running as my main.

However, here's the dilema I am facing on an old friend...my Traynor YBA 200-2...

I don't want to give up on it because it has so many great features (including switchable impedance to 8 ohms) and actually sounds killer for a 200 watter.

Just wondering if you guys might have some advice on getting an extra 100 watts out of it without spending too much money or hurting it's feelings. It does have a preamp out feauture as well as a slave option, but I'm still not sure what to do. A pedal would be ideal, but I might be thinking up the wrong tree as far as extra watts are concerned.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    What are you trying to achieve with an extra 100w? It won't make much difference to volume, a more sensitive cab will do more for you on that count. If you want a cleaner sound, some preamp valve swapping. If you want a bigger number on you amp, get one of those Dymo labellers.

3. What cab configuration are you using? Could you add another cab to get some more oomph?
    Otherwise, methinks your only options are to run the pre out to another power amp or directly to the PA, thereby bypassing the Yorkie's tube power section.

4. lynott-forever

lynott-forever

Oct 29, 2009
    Canada
    Those labellers are sweet, but they only look good. The cabs I have definetly do the job well, but I'd like to add to the Traynor to give it more watts to play with. As far as a cleaner sound, I'm not sure. I do enjoy the sound of Aguilar's tube amps, but at the moment can't justify shelling out the bread to get one. Just looking for suggestions that don't involve sarcasm.

5. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Point is, watts is just a number. What are you hoping to achieve by having more? More watts only looks good if you aren't doing anything with it.

6. lynott-forever

lynott-forever

Oct 29, 2009
    Canada
    I've never used a power amp before, but this sounds like a good idea. Any recomendations on a decent one?

Sorry about the lack of tech knowledge, guys. I've always just ran head to cab, but am looking to try new things.:)

7. Are you only gigging with one band at the moment? I hate having wasted equipment too, and have the same dilemma with my Fender Bullet at the moment because it's only being used as a just in case spare, could do with either playing some really trashy punk/rock or something very mellow to do with it. Anyway if your playing with more then one band I'd be making use of the difference in tone, plus you'd have alot less hauling of all tube amps to do.

8. lynott-forever

lynott-forever

Oct 29, 2009
    Canada
    For the Yorkie I use a Genz Benz 6x10 cab.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    An extra 100 watts is of no consequence, it would only give you 1dB of additional output. If you need it louder double the cab count, that will give you 6dB.

10. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Yup. Any difference between the amps is almost exclusively because they are different designs, not of different power. OTOH, 2 or 3 dB might be the difference between not enough SPL and something being just fine. (That is very obvious when you mix FOH for instance.)

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Excuse me if I'm misreading your intentions, but re-engineering the Traynor's power amp section to "add watts" isn't cost effective. You *could* use the Traynor's pre-amp to feed a power amp, but then you'd be taking the Traynor's tube power amp section out of the chain, and the tube power amp section is a significant part of the sound.

Do you want more volume for stage monitoring? If your monitoring system is robust, use a cab mic (or speaker-level DI) signal and get some bass in the foldback.

If the stage monitors can't support the bass, pushing more--or more efficient--speakers with the Traynor is the way to go.

Beyond that, you have some other options, but the cost, complexity, and hassle start to rise. In-ears are an option; and if stage volume is an issue, in-ears could help save you from long-term hearing damage. You could also consider carrying a supplemental stage monitoring system just for the YBA--but that seems like too much trouble every night just to use the Traynor.

12. run the effect send of the traynor into the effect return of the svt and run two cabs for doom.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Why, so he could have neither the preamp voicing of the SVT nor the power section of the Traynor, while carrying both anchors to every gig?

OP: by far your most effective solution will be to use two 8x10 cabs for the Traynor. It will sound massive and very very loud. You cannot reasonable increase the watts out of the amp, and even if you could squeeze a few more watts out, it wouldn't do you any audible good. But using a massive speaker array will give you all the loudness you could ever want from that amp.

14. Remember to get twice the volume you'll need ten times the power. Increase your speaker count - it's your only option.

Paul

15. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Dude still hasn't said what he wants the extra watts for. Might not be for more volume. He states he is satisfied with the cab, so fairly sure he wants bigger numbers.

16. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    ...mmmh... this power cable I know of ... :bag: :p

17. lynott-forever

lynott-forever

Oct 29, 2009
    Canada
    You'll never know, will you?

18. lynott-forever

lynott-forever

Oct 29, 2009
    Canada
    The verdict is an extra cab. I don't mind loading extra gear. :)

19. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If it's not too late, I vote for the extra cab, too. From another recent thread, I faced this same dilemma with a V4B over a generation ago and doubling the cab count bought me a ton of time before my next upgrade.