Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trying to get into bands.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattmcnewf, Sep 5, 2004.

1. mattmcnewf

mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    Bah lately i have been really stressed over my senior year of school starting. My high School has a Jazz band and i want to play in it. Yet there's a good chance i may not be able to. That is because there is already a bassists much better than me in my school. And its really hard to ask to get in when i could of been in band since grade 9 and deciided not too. Anyone else have these types of feelings.

2. When I auditioned for a band and didn't make it, I was heartbroken. The reason why is cause at the time they were in talks with Atlantic Records (seriously, i'm not joking) and the rep told them they needed to expand their sound, first by adding another guitar player (yes, i tried out to play guitar, not bass). Though I had plenty of callbacks (and even at one point the vocalist told me I was in), they finally decided to keep it a four piece. They broke up anyway (who'da thunk musicians had drunken rages?), so that was actually a relief to me. I wasn't ready anyway, at the time I was only 16 (they were all 21 or so) and really, I wasn't very good at all, not to mention not my genre at all (think TOOL gone progrock).

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Well I'm in a relativly small school. There is no jazz band program. Only 4 bassists that I know of, I think I'm the most qualified out of any of them.

I'm not in a band though, I don't get recruited because I don't want to cover Lynard Skynard and write bad rock songs with just roots, nor do I have a rich dad to buy me super fancy PA equipment that the band can use (Though we do have super fancy PA equipment, we don't have enough for a whole band to mooch off me).