trying to get job at UPS. help? advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by xcental34x, Dec 22, 2003.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I learned the other night that UPS hires package handlers at age 18 and gives a fixed schedule and really good pay ($8.50). I filled out a profile online for part time and the site said something to the tune of "You meet the criteria...we'll contact you soon." I'm reading over the site and it seems they're conditional about who they contact. With how desperate I am for this job, should I pursue it and call them or just wait? I have two friends that work at local UPS Centers, one in Bartlett, the one I' trying to get the job at, and one of Oakhaven. How should I go about? Should I try to get my friends to put in words for me? Any help is welcomed.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Go in and show your face. Well, unless you're really ugly. :D

3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

PM me if you want to learn how Union collective bargaining agreements work.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here's the trick to getting on at UPS. Bring in a package of your own and as soon as you walk into the interview start throwing it around and beating on it like a wildman. Just totally trash that package. This should ensure that you meet the criteria.

brad cook

ps - Oh and also show up late to the interview and overcharge them for something.

pps - oh yeah...;) (just so no one gets mad.. You can say anything as long as it has a smiley behind it...see watch this "John Turner has crabs and his crabs have herpes. ;)" Cool huh?)
  5. Hey, I work for UPS right now as a package handler/cover driver. Tell your friends to put in a good word for you and you'll most likely get hired. If anything tell your friend to the get the Human Resourses person's telephone number. That way you can make an appointment and speak with them. As Far as pay I think the new hires make around $9.00 cause of the new contract. As far as union fees, if you work in a "right to work state such as florida" you don't have to join the union. But I suggest you do, if you plan on working there for a long time.

As far as benefits, you as a part-timer you get dental, vision and health care insurance after 6 months of attaining seniority. You can also put money away in a 401k and be able to purchase company stock. And some centers help you pay for school. Oh yeah and a free turkey every Christmas.

Good luck getting the job, but let me warn you, its gonna be overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it. You'll be able to do it in your sleep:D . If you have anymore questions let me know.
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wow! full bene's as a part timer!

that is the power of the union contract..

i hope you get the job
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Show up wearing a brown suit?
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D ;)

that sounds like a plan to me!

9. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Hey Patrick... I'm a Memphis boy too. Why don't you get a job at FedEx? They hire at 18 too, and pay upwards of $10 an hour by what I've heard.
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    FYI: UPS drug tests and they do background checks. My roommate in college worked for them and they required him to present a job history of the past 9 employers.
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Many people who are 50 years old haven't had 9 employers!