1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to get scales to pop out on the fretboard...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BagsBass, Mar 27, 2009.

1. BagsBass

BagsBass

Mar 7, 2009
    I have been playing for a few years, but only now am i finally starting to learn my scales. i have a feeling that eventually they will just pop out at me and i'll see the scales as clear as day, cuz i can't think of any other way guys can shred or hit all sorts of notes so cleanly. my question is just on how to make this happen...is it just a matter of practicing scales over and over or are there actually tricks to get it to all make sense?

2. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    Yes, I do think it is just a matter of practice. I also suggest thinking in intervals helps too. Eventually, individual notes begin to light up.

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Maple fretboard and a magic marker. ;)

You'll get it. It takes time.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    For me it was a sudden epiphany. On stage no less- I was playing in a country band playing a song in G. So, I'm playing mostly G B, C G, and D, A. Then I SAW the chords within the major scale!! I really saw the G B D, C E G, and D F# A overlaid with the scale fingerings. It was the most usefull insight into how music works ever.

jte

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    You might want to take a look at this: http://www.how-to-play-bass.com/bass-hanon.html

Fretlight guitars have built in LEDs that can light up the scales. The newer ones work with a computer. The older ones have dials on the guitar that allow one to select the key/scale to light up. They used to make a bass back in the 90's--I've only seen one for sale in the past year and it went for about $800. Occaisionally you see an older guitar for sale.

You can also take a look at the thread in my sig. Lots of good info there.

6. Do you understand tab? If not ask. I was trying to get the fret board to open up for me(14+ yrs.) and one day I had a thought hope this helps. The idea is that the #1 scale in every key is the major scale. Do you know the major formation? And the front of one formation is the back of another(for this exercise) front of #1 is back of #2, front of #2 is back of #3,front of #3 is back of #4, front of#4 is back of #5 front of #5 is back of #1 and repeat. So start #1 on the note you intend to play first this will determine your key(example) #3rd fret low E string, is the G note so if using scale #1 you are playing the key of G(major scale), Start at #5 fret, low E string and you are in the key of A, and so on.Well enough blabbing, I intend to write this down for bass I don't have any bass tab paper right now, If interested PM me for a copy. P.S. I became fluent with this by tunning to concert pitch and forcing myself to play along the best I could with what ever came on the radio(quite challenging). But don't stop there this is just a frame to a system you need to continue to think outside the "BOX" and continue to play with the feel you have grown to love.

PLunk#er

Attached Files:

7. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    Here's a repeat of an older post that I lobbed in a few months ago:

Learn about "chord-scale compatibility", i.e., the C major scale is the Ionian scale (I) C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C, ... the II scale in C major is the D Dorian scale (D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D), and so on with III (Phrygian), IV (Lydian), V (Mixolydian), VI (Aeolian), and VII (Locrian)

Memorize all these scale patterns and practice shifting between them keeping in mind where you are relative to your root key (i.e. I, II, V, etc). Practice intervals, arpeggios etc across these scales, ascending, descending, also ascending on only 2 strings up 2 octaves, then descending down a different area of the fretboard. Hours of fun. PLUS, you'll see patterns and relationships you may not have previously noticed.

This is most easily seen in the chart below. I'm not a professional musician, so anyone more knowledgeable out there: please correct me if there's something wrong here.

The Dorian pattern is offset to the left on purpose, because I want to remind myself to start with my second (index) finger for the Dorian scale. For all other patterns, if the first dot is in the bottom left position, start with the second (index) finger. If there's an open fret space left of the first dot, start with the 3rd (middle) finger. The reason for this is that if you follow this convention, then moving up or down a single string (rather than using the next string up or down) will always have the pattern continue 1 whole tone up from the last note in the 2 or 3-note section of the pattern... This makes it much easier to move around the fretboard with accuracy.

attachment.