Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying to get that "metal" sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marshes, May 17, 2005.

1. Marshes

Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    Hi, I've been trying to get a nice metal bass kind of sound. I love any heavy music and it dissapoints me that I cannot get the right sound. I'll list all the things I have that should affect my sound

Schecter Stilletto Studio 5
    Zoom 506 effects pedal
    Behringer bass V-amp (yeah, i know, behringer)

Thats about it. ANY suggestions are open. Thanks!

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't know about the Schecter, but kill the HZ's that are in it and put some good EMG's in there.

Fresh strings are always a help- I like Rotosound Swingbass. They are $25.00 a pop for a fiver.

Other than that, the single best thing you can get to make a mediocre rig sound good is a Sansamp BDDI. I have seen used ones go for as little as $100.00

Speaking of a rig- get yourself a decent combo or head/cab combo- perhaps an Ampeg, GK or SWR. The Behringer is junk and if you go to normal giging won't hold out. A used Hartke 410XL bass cab can be had for next to nothing.

You still have to use your ears though

3. zoom sound: chunky with a bright attack, too easy for my playing to break up patches tho, effects too much sound.

behringer: i'd avoid it seeing what i've heard

4. Marshes

Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    Yeah yeah i know it's behringer at least it does a half crappy job. and I am saving up for a nice setup. This is my first and I'm saving up for a blue tube preamp, ampeg 6x10 and a wireless system. I am definately not new so i know what i need. I was just wondering if you had any ideas for what i have right now.

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    SansAmp BBDI will "Ampeg" that rig right up. If you want a good inexpensive pre- try the RBI. I've seen them going for around $250.00.

Ted

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    +1 on the Sansamp...you can probably get close that ampeg sound out of your berhinger with that unit. It'll transform a not so great sounding rig to a great sounding rig. What cabs are you using? Good cabs will also make a huge difference.

I just got the sansamp programmable, with is extremely useful for the metal band i'm in. I have one set pretty close to their svt preset. The other 2: I have one set for a warm, scooped steve harris type tone. And a boost with more mids to cut through.