Trying to get that "metal" sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Marshes, May 17, 2005.

1. Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    Hi, I've been trying to get a nice metal bass kind of sound. I love any heavy music and it dissapoints me that I cannot get the right sound. I'll list all the things I have that should affect my sound

Schecter Stilletto Studio 5
    Zoom 506 effects pedal
    Behringer bass V-amp (yeah, i know, behringer)

Thats about it. ANY suggestions are open. Thanks!
  2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't know about the Schecter, but kill the HZ's that are in it and put some good EMG's in there.

Fresh strings are always a help- I like Rotosound Swingbass. They are $25.00 a pop for a fiver.

Other than that, the single best thing you can get to make a mediocre rig sound good is a Sansamp BDDI. I have seen used ones go for as little as $100.00

Speaking of a rig- get yourself a decent combo or head/cab combo- perhaps an Ampeg, GK or SWR. The Behringer is junk and if you go to normal giging won't hold out. A used Hartke 410XL bass cab can be had for next to nothing.

You still have to use your ears though
  3. zoom sound: chunky with a bright attack, too easy for my playing to break up patches tho, effects too much sound.

behringer: i'd avoid it seeing what i've heard
  4. Marshes

Sep 20, 2004
    Yeah yeah i know it's behringer at least it does a half crappy job. and I am saving up for a nice setup. This is my first and I'm saving up for a blue tube preamp, ampeg 6x10 and a wireless system. I am definately not new so i know what i need. I was just wondering if you had any ideas for what i have right now.
  5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    SansAmp BBDI will "Ampeg" that rig right up. If you want a good inexpensive pre- try the RBI. I've seen them going for around $250.00.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    +1 on the can probably get close that ampeg sound out of your berhinger with that unit. It'll transform a not so great sounding rig to a great sounding rig. What cabs are you using? Good cabs will also make a huge difference.

I just got the sansamp programmable, with is extremely useful for the metal band i'm in. I have one set pretty close to their svt preset. The other 2: I have one set for a warm, scooped steve harris type tone. And a boost with more mids to cut through.