1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

trying to get the right guages for a string up

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scorpionldr, May 9, 2006.

1. ok, so in the past year I've been playing with Ernie ball Power slinkies which are guaged:
    G .055
    D .075
    A .090
    E .110

I'm playing in D standard (DGCF) and I've decided that with my band and the playing I do, that I'm not getting any real clear use out of my D string, and I want to take things up a string (GCFBb). I've been looking for strings that basically have a .030 string, as that appears to be the standard in High C's. but I want something that will feel almost as taught as my regular set that can be as equally bright

2. bump.

I would probably expect the extended range bass folks to have some clue on how these guages would be arranged....I know I'm probably going to be using a .090 or .095 as my thickest string, but frequently what I'm seeing is that the lightest string is either .030 or .040, nothing in between

3. I am also playing DGCF and still serching rigth strings. EB PS are OK ? Good tension? No flick on freets ? Still bright D string ? I have Galli Saturn Strings 50,70,85,110 now, and the D string is little bit muzzy and lax. :meh:
    please ALL droppers : post your experiences with strings on DGCF tunning.... :hyper:

4. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    :confused:

I have a standard set of rounds on my spector and I have used many different tunings, Drop - C, Drop - D, 1 step down, 1/2 step down, and they are all sounding fine. Dunno what your guys problem is :)

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    scorpionldr, those are some meaty strings you are using.

One solution to your problem might be extenting the lenght of your D (E) string. (I credit Gray Willis for this tip. Page 67 of "101 Bass Tips") This can be accomplished by adding PC board spacers at the end of the bridge so the ball of the string is extended outward, or drilling out a hole through the bridge and the body of the bass and have the D (E) string through the body. You will have to sink a ferral into the back of the bass to keep the string from ripping through the wood.
    This will increase the tension on the D (E) string and not make it so floppy feeling.