1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to get this HUGE bass synth sound...how do I do it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jesso, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jesso

jesso

May 30, 2008
    My band are thinking about playing Fun - We are young as a cover version. It's a huge song here in Ireland (and the UK too I'd say).
    We only have one keyboard, which will be doing the piano bits, so it'll be up to me to get that HUUUUUGE bass synth sound.
    Thiing is, I don't have any pedals for doing stuff like that at the moment.
    I'm thinking an ocatve pedal and a distortion.... or maybe there's a synth pedal that will do it for me. Anyway, just looking for suggestions before I go buying a load of pedals that don't sound right!

Here's the song just incase you haven't heard it before.

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    I could reproduce that with a Boss oc-2 octaver, wooly mammoth Fuzz, and the Moog mf101 with almost no resonance and just slightly closed.

3. jesso

jesso

May 30, 2008
    What does the Moog do? I won't be buying one just for the one song, I know they're expensive. But an octaver and a fuzz I could certainly manage.

4. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    the low pass filter. only allows low frequencies to pass through it. so its trims out some of the high frequencies made by the fuzz as it distorts your harmonics. it helps refine and shape the sound. if you have an envelope filter and you turn off the Q/attack/threshold. you should be able to get the same concept going

5. jesso

jesso

May 30, 2008
    Ah ok now I see. Thanks for that. To ebay I go! Any recommendations for good cheap pedals that will do the job? It's only for one song after all.....

6. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    Try the TB classifieds before eBay. You will find better prices, better people and pedal condition is more accurately conveyed. We have a good group here on TB, you can ask a million question before you buy.

7. jesso

jesso

May 30, 2008
    Good advice. I don't usually buy stuf from the US because of shipping, but with pedals the shipping would be pretty reasonable.

8. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    for 1 song. the EHX Bass Micro Synth probably. Get the new one. Get it used.

9. jesso

jesso

May 30, 2008
    Cool will check it out, thanks Kobaia.