Trying to help my student

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Feb 28, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

One of my students, a very talented young guy, has played a crappy Yamaha P-bass (not bashing Yamahas. i know they're great, but this one isn't) for a long time and now he's ready for an upgrade. He's very interested about playing jazz and wants a fretless, but there are two problems: First is that he's been kinda obsessed with a lined/triangle inlays Rickenbacker 4003FL. He asked for info about that instrument to the company and they told him that something like that is a "custom order", which will take one and a half year to deliver.

My student doesn't want to wait so long. As he told me: "I'd really love to have a Ric, but it isn't my dream instrument either", so he asked me for a recommendation and here's where the second problem appears: The first name I told him was (obviously) Ernie Ball MusicMan. Not interested (just because of the looks. Not a good enough reason to me but to each his own). Then Carvin. Not interested. Then Fender. Not interested.

So what else can I recommend him? His budget is US$1300 and he doesn't want an used instrument. Of course there must be lots of good options for a 4-string fretless, but I can't think of any others, so that's why I'm asking for your help. Thank you in advance for your input.

Oh, and BTW, the root of the problem is that his "dream bass" is either a Fodera Monarch or an Alembic. I don't blame him. I passed through that too.
  2. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Fretless Spector Rebop, Fretless Yamaha something or other, dare i say Warwick?
  3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    You could probably get a killer fretless Fender. MIA probably.

My MIM is amazing. I just put roundwounds on it. It's something he wouldn't regret.

4. The student isn't interested in Fender's or apparently the like of Fenders (ie. MM, Fender, and probably G&L.) I would suggest to him a Warwick Corvette fretless 4. Very awesome fretless bass, with an absolute killer "mwah" factor. If that doesn't float his boat, then perhaps a Prestige Ibanez or a Peavey Cirrus?

5. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    mmmm.... warwick....
  6. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I second a Spector.
  7. How about a fretless cirrus?
  8. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005

I third the notion. *bangs gavel* found by a majority vote.. Spector it shall be!
  9. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
  10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Fretless Ric with Jazz pups instead of Ric pups. Does this exist?
  11. Maybe in a cheep Japanese knock-off... But from Ric, I think not.

I'm not related to the seller in any way shape or form, but I was just browsing the bass guitar for sale forum... seems to be a fretless lurking around there that goes by the name "Warwick." ;)

12. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    He can pick up a new 4003 and have a luther defret it and still be under his $1300 budget.
  13. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Hack up a Ric? Are you mad, man?! :eek:
  14. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    A "custom order" from Rickenbacker?? I didn't think that was possible. Heck, a year and half is normal for any Ric.
  15. hhmm likes jazz......... maybe upright?
    just kiddin'.

how about yamaha bb614F? since he has a feel for yamahas already.

i would agree on the warwick corvette fretless too.
  16. Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Ricks are great, but fretless not so much. I second the G&L.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    A fretless Warwick or Spector would be a good route to take, espeically if he's cool with the chrome hardware on the Corvette Standard, that bass works very well as a fretless imo.

EDIT: I've never heard a fretless Ric, but I can't imagine the "Rickenbacker tone" lending itself well to fretless, but you never know!
  18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    How old is the student? Cause maybe he needs to play these basses (Fender, MM, etc etc) and realize that it's playability and sound, and not looks.

I'm also assuming he hasen't played these instruments.

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

He's very young (19 or 20) and I think it has something to do with being so stubborn. He has played my Bongo and he agrees that it's a terrific sounding instrument, but he doesn't like how it looks. So I told him "Why not a StingRay or a Sterling?" and he replied that he definitely doesn't like MMs :)confused: ). I know he has also played (or heard live at least) a Fender since there are many here (another student has an Urge I and a MIA Jazz). Again, and IMO, his reasons to dislike these instruments aren't good enough.