1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to ID a Peavey Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paul46038, Jun 3, 2011.

1. I bought a "former" Peavey bass from a guy who had stripped it, refinished it (with metal leaf and a soldering iron) with an Incan folk art motif and replaced the hardware and electronics. He originally intended to re-use the old pickguard but changed his mind, went with the bare wood look and made a thin cedar control cover. I love it.

viracocha 0104 edit350w.

The cedar cover has always been a little delicate and now, after almost six years, it's begun to crack. As much as I like it, I'm tempted to strengthen things up a bit by returning to a traditional pickguard. The trouble is, I don't know what model Peavey this guitar used to be. Can anyone tell or is there a resource somewhere that could help?

2. This pic is "borrowed" from a post on the Peavey Forums. Your bass looks like a MIA Fury:

3-14-1.

3. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Yep.

That's such an original idea and look I think I'd find some .025" thick aluminum or brass and cut it to match the ceder cover and glue the bottom of the ceder to it for reinforcement.

mech

4. Thanks guys. I like your idea, mech, and will look into that.

5. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    That is awesome man! :eek: -Luke

6. Definitely an MIA Fury! Just wondering, how much did you get it for?

7. I paid $400.

I actually "knew" the guy from a songwriting message board and he had been posting progress pictures of his work before he mentioned he'd like to sell it. I raised my hand and we had a deal three months before he was finished with it.

8. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    MIA Fury with curved bottom pickguard.

9. Post 91 Fury. The earlier models had a different shape.

+1 to Mech's suggestion.

10. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    ]
    I love your bass.. I hope it plays as well as mine. :bassist:

That's my Fury

The Fury in that photo is a $60 pawn shop find
    and it is a MIA.

Had to change the pickup and electronics and
    changed some hardware,

5-9-7-1.

Tabdog

11. Sorry I stole your thunder; I didn't realize you were here as well.

I remember you having a nice posting, with multiple pix, on the Peavey Forums. It was the 1st one that came to mind when I thought of a Fury pic.

12. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I'm sorry to steel Paul's thunder.

That is the most awesome Fury I ever saw.

viracocha0104edit350w.

You just boosted my thunder. I like to brag,, :bassist:

You make me proud and give me a chance
    to brag some more,,,, :cool:

Thanks,

Tabdog

13. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    What does the back look like? That's a very interesting look and idea.

Happen to have a very talented designer in the house.

14. The back is bare but the headstock is similarly decorated.

btw, I see I can get .025 aluminum sheet almost anywhere and I believe I have adequate tools to cut it so I'll definitely pursue that option.

[OT: Hey, oldrookie, I'm actually in Fishers but I have a gig this evening with a bass player from Plainfield - I'm playing keys.]