trying to ID a Rickenbacker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rbud2003, Mar 27, 2003.

1. rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I have a bright Rickenback bass that I'm trying to ID. The serial number indicates that it was made in 1986. It is bright red with a black pickguard. Mono output jack.

Searching this forum and the Internet, I found some references and pictures saying this was a 4003 Redneck.

Is this the correct ID of this bass? If so, how long was this bass made for? How does it compare to the other 4003 bases?

2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Well, I don't know if it's called a "Redneck" or not, but "Red" RICs were made from '85 to '99.;)
  3. is the fretboard red?(as red as the body) does it have triangle inlays or dot inlays?...does it have binding?..and if so,is it black or white... if you could provide a little more info we could provide a more definate answer:)
  4. 4003 "Redneck" or "Bloodstar"
    Limited Edition Series
    This bass is similar to the 4003 model.
    Features: Ruby red finished fingerboard, black hardware, black pickguard and truss rod cover, 9 black micro dot inlays, Ruby red finished unbound body
    (1987?) - Introduced
    (1987?) - Discontinued

(courtesy of
    Do a search on Bloodstar, I was too lazy to put the direct link in place just now...
    Hmm, maybe pointing to another site isn't the best way to say 'hello', but that is the best place to get a "Rickenbacker or Not" question answered. This seemed like a good thread to use as an excuse to come out of lurk mode. :D

I tend to favor the standard issues over most of the Limited Edition instruments, not for sound quality or playability but I don't feel as bad about wearing them out. :p
  5. rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks for the responses.

The bass has a brown fretboard with with dot inlays. There is no binding on it.
  6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    It's worthless. Send it to me anyway.
  7. mono out,no binding,rosewood board.....sounds like a 4003s to me...the redneck is exactly has a red fingerboard w\micro-dot inlays (as opposed to regular size dot's or triangles), black pickguard,black truss cover and black hardware you can check many models at this site...hope this helps:)