1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to id my Fender "P" bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philip McAdam, Feb 24, 2021.

1. I have a Fender "P" bass that has logos on the headstock, case, tuners, an F logo on the neck plate but, no serial number nor is there a marking for country of origin. Can anyone help me with finding the history of this bass? It looks like this... IMG_0527.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0528.JPG IMG_0529.JPG IMG_0531.JPG IMG_0532.JPG

2. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    When I zoom in to the headstock, it looks like there was some info under the "Fender" logo that got sanded off (I might be wrong though). Very nice looking bass nevertheless!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Looks like a late 70s. The serial number looks to have been sanded off. It would normally say “made in USA” under the precision bass portion but I’ve seen this missing on some late 70s fenders. The pickguard has the center screw, screws for the bridge cover are there. Looks like the pickguard might not have the screw holes for the thumb rest or pickup cover.

Here are the headstock logos from two 78s I had. You can see one was missing the USA portion

ks97MgN.jpg

X04Qh5b.jpg

You can see what I mean about the screw holes in this picture, the screws for the pickup cover are there and the thumbrest is installed.

Lg1pNza.jpg

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Late 70's Precision in that walnut finish with a replacement pickguard and the serial number removed from the look of it?

Removed S/N probably means it was stolen at some point...

5. Thank you, I really appreciate your help with this.

6. Thank you. I really hope that it was not stolen, I have had my bicycle stolen and it is not a good feeling.

murphy likes this.
  7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    If you take the guard off, you'll be able to see if it has the correct thumb-rest holes on the bass side of the strings. If the pickups are still original, you might be able to get a date code off of them, and same for the pots. I think you'll find the pickguard is a replacement, possibly of the same era as that Badass bridge.

JMacBass65, Ghastly and Philip McAdam like this.
  8. Thank you for the information. I will try that. I used to live in Toronto and often enjoyed taking a ride down to the Syracuse area, it is beautiful there.

Lownote38 and BurningSkies like this.
  9. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Aside from the pickup and pot codes there should also be a production code on the heel of the neck. They can sometimes be hard to read but the 8 digit format can be read as follows

1972 to 1980 Neck Stamps Explained.
    This information was provided by Greg Gagliano. The 1972-1980 eight digit code is similar to the previous 1969-1971 system. Example, Music Master (s/n 595121) with code 49002153. The first 6 digits are paired off and the last two digits are taken singly. So that gives us 49 00 215 3 where:

• 49 = model code (Musicmaster, Mustang, Bronco)
    • 00 = neck code (rosewood fingerboard)
    • 21 = week code (week 21)
    • 5 = year code (1975)
    • 3 = day of the week code (Wednesday)

Model Codes Used from 1972 to 1980.
    Model codes (first pair of digits):
    • 01 = Precision Bass
    • 02 = Jazz Bass
    • 04 = Mustang Bass
    • 08 = Telecaster Deluxe
    • 09 = Stratocaster
    • 13 = Telecaster, Telecaster Custom, Telecaster Thinline
    • 49 = Musicmaster, Mustang, Bronco
    Neck Codes Used from 1972 to 1980.
    Neck codes (second pair of digits):
    • 00 = rosewood fingerboard
    • 01 = rosewood fingerboard
    • 03 = fretted maple neck OR skunk stripe neck with rosewood board
    • 10 = fretless maple neck
    Vintage Guitars Info - Fender, collecting vintage guitars fender stratocaster, strat, telecaster, tele

Bleecker and Philip McAdam like this.
  10. Thank you, if the case is the original then it appears to be from the late '60s to early '70s. The Fender name on the case has the tail under the logo.

murphy and BurningSkies like this.
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Thanks! I'm lucky enough to live in a little town on a lake, so pretty ideal, minus the snow...we get more than Syracuse proper. ;) Love Toronto...great town with good energy used to play El Mocambo here and there back in the 90's.

murphy, Root 5 and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. Wow, I wonder if I ever saw you play there? I am assuming you are on one of the finger lakes then? Beautiful wine country.
    I actually miss the snow and Winter of the east now that I am on an Island where it snows maybe three days a year. I know, cry me a river.

Lownote38 and BurningSkies like this.
  13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I got married in the finger lakes...but actually we're south east of Syracuse in Cazenovia NY. We get all the lake effect snow plus more for being about 1000' above the 'plain' that Syracuse and the Finger lakes sit on.

DrMole and Root 5 like this.
  14. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I just know that I love it.:woot:

15. Well, I am not too familiar with your exact area. It's nice to connect with you. Best of luck in all things.

16. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Thanks, you too. I hope you figure out what you have for a P-Bass. Certainly looks like a later 70's bass in pretty good shape.

17. That seems to be the consensus though the case seems to be from late '60s to early '70s.

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Cases often get divorced from their basses and replaced with others. I'm not surprised.

P. Aaron likes this.
  19. Nor am I. I sent an email to Fender but, I did not hear back from them.

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    They don't do this kind of support. Too many basses over too many years. It would be a full time operation just to answer these kinds of questions.

dan1952 and 1960jbass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021