1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trying to identify Bulb in Ampeg SVT PR-410HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DTKempII, Jan 17, 2012.

1. DTKempII

DTKempII

Apr 4, 2009
    After reading through posts here and other sites...I learned that there is supposed to be a 24v bulb in my Ampeg PR-410HLF panel, acting as a fuse for the horn. I haven't been able to find anything indicating what that bulb should be. I opened the back panel and found that the previous owner had placed a screw in the socket and used electrical tape to hold it in place. Therefore, I don't have an old bulb to reference.

Does anybody know what bulb I need?

Your help would be much appreciated!

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Duplicate deleted

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I believe that is a #1683 28 V bulb. (SLM part # 49-202-01)

It is mostly used on trucks, and possibly boats.

Also used in a lot of Ampeg and Audio-Centron cabs for crossover protection

4. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    he put a screw?

ugh.

what's the point of bypassing a security feature?

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I've seen worse in my time as all techs have. :(

6. DTKempII

DTKempII

Apr 4, 2009
    Well, I found a short article that talks about why bulbs are used in these circuits, as opposed to fuses. The bulb acts less like a fuse and more like a compressor. Interesting read: TA Speaker Topics: Vent FAQ's

Thanks, Jerold. Somebody had mentioned a 24v elsewhere, but was uncertain. Like many others, I bought this cabinet used, without a manual. After digging all over the Internet, I figured out, based on the parallel locking pins, the size of the bulb's base and the single contact, it's style is known as BA15S (Bayonet, 15mm diameter, Single contact). Still, I could find nothing that specified wattage.

I just placed an order on eBay for 10 of these cheap. Hope it works!