Trying to identify: Squire 5 String "Rock Bass" ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by larryhall, Apr 2, 2001.

1. larryhall

larryhall Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Clendenin
    I'm trying to identify a Fender Squire Bass I recently purchased, to ascertain whether or not I got ripped off! It's labeled Squire by Fender, it's a 5 string bass with a jazz bass style pickup arrangement and no pickguard. The guy I bought it off of referred to it as a Squire "Rock Bass". I'll attach a picture to this message - anyone who has even seen or owns one of these, please gimme a yell!

2. um...this is just me...but I dont think thats a Squier. It doesnt have the Fender headstock. All but one Squier bass Ive played has a pickguard. The bridge doesnt look fender like either. It looks like a P and J pickup combo. And perhaps someone just put a Squier decal on it. Cuz that looks nothing like the Squier 5 string.

3. Squier did a bass like that around the late 80's/early 90's called the HM bass, in 4 string and 5 string versions with an angled headstock.
    that could be one.......

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Mock Turtle, that is indeed what the bass looks like, a Squier HM series.

5. oops. Sorry fer misinforming you all.

6. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    If that is a Squire HM series, they differed from the Fender HM's. Looks like the same body shape, but the headstock on the Fenders was the traditional shape, also the Fender HM's had 3 J style pickups and a 5 way selector switch (ala Stratocaster).

7. larryhall

larryhall Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Clendenin
    I really appreciate all of you who responded so quickly - the info has been invaluable. But I am faced with one additional problem - I can't seem to find any stats or pictures of the HM Bass online. Does anyone have any good links to older model bass guitars? I have searched Fender and Squire to no avail!

Thanks again!

Larry

8. I've got a listing for it in an old Guitar Buyer's Guide from 92;
    "Squier. HM series; modern basses with sculpted P-bass bodies, 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard, P/J pickups, tilted gloss black headstocks , black hardware, 4 and 5 string models".

the Fender HM bass, as neptune says, was quite a bit different to the squier version. I remember seeing five string models of both the squier and Fender versions in shops.

9. larryhall, is it my imagination or is there a bent fretwire at around the 17th fret? Maybe it's just the angle and lighting in the photo.