Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trying to identify: Squire 5 String "Rock Bass" ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by larryhall, Apr 2, 2001.

1. larryhall

larryhall Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Clendenin
    I'm trying to identify a Fender Squire Bass I recently purchased, to ascertain whether or not I got ripped off! It's labeled Squire by Fender, it's a 5 string bass with a jazz bass style pickup arrangement and no pickguard. The guy I bought it off of referred to it as a Squire "Rock Bass". I'll attach a picture to this message - anyone who has even seen or owns one of these, please gimme a yell!

2. um...this is just me...but I dont think thats a Squier. It doesnt have the Fender headstock. All but one Squier bass Ive played has a pickguard. The bridge doesnt look fender like either. It looks like a P and J pickup combo. And perhaps someone just put a Squier decal on it. Cuz that looks nothing like the Squier 5 string.

3. Squier did a bass like that around the late 80's/early 90's called the HM bass, in 4 string and 5 string versions with an angled headstock.
    that could be one.......

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mock Turtle, that is indeed what the bass looks like, a Squier HM series.

5. oops. Sorry fer misinforming you all.

6. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    If that is a Squire HM series, they differed from the Fender HM's. Looks like the same body shape, but the headstock on the Fenders was the traditional shape, also the Fender HM's had 3 J style pickups and a 5 way selector switch (ala Stratocaster).

7. larryhall

larryhall Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Clendenin
    I really appreciate all of you who responded so quickly - the info has been invaluable. But I am faced with one additional problem - I can't seem to find any stats or pictures of the HM Bass online. Does anyone have any good links to older model bass guitars? I have searched Fender and Squire to no avail!

Thanks again!

Larry

8. I've got a listing for it in an old Guitar Buyer's Guide from 92;
    "Squier. HM series; modern basses with sculpted P-bass bodies, 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard, P/J pickups, tilted gloss black headstocks , black hardware, 4 and 5 string models".

the Fender HM bass, as neptune says, was quite a bit different to the squier version. I remember seeing five string models of both the squier and Fender versions in shops.

9. larryhall, is it my imagination or is there a bent fretwire at around the 17th fret? Maybe it's just the angle and lighting in the photo.