1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trying to learn to play jazz

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dazey, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Dazey

Dazey

Dec 20, 2011
    St. Louis
    Today i learned a bit about arpeggios. moving to notes chromatically and a little bit about the chord progressions.

this is pretty much all i can do. i realize non of its really jazzy but i'm trying to learn.

excuse the quality im recording it from a webcam

Vocaroo | Record and send voice emails

is there anyone here who can help me out a bit? suggest what i should be working on? i'll take any advice.

2. Dazey

Dazey

Dec 20, 2011
    St. Louis
    just listened to this and realized i never turned the tv off.

sorry guys :/

3. GeoffT

GeoffT

Aug 1, 2011
    Michigan
    And there is your first lesson. Turn off the TV when you practice. No distractions.

Second thing, slow down. Pick a song, get the progression from a real book or online and start simple. Just roots, then add in just chord tones, then approach notes, scalar approaches, etc. while you are getting the sound of the song into your head. Don't be in a hurry, it is a long process.

The best thing you could do is find a good teacher, nothing is better than that.

The best free advice you will find is this. If you like that, Ed has a great book too.

Building Walking Basslines is a great resource, with backing tracks you can work with. Go through it and apply each lesson to all of the songs at the end of the book before moving on to the next concept.

4. Dazey

Dazey

Dec 20, 2011
    St. Louis
    thanks for the advice. im just now reading this. do you have a song you could recomend me to try and learn or jam with? or anyone else looking at this. :help:

this is something i was workin on while jamming with a buddy. we had a little fun with it

5. miltslackford

miltslackford

Oct 14, 2009
    Hi

I agree with the last poster. To start with just put the theory and scales to one side and just learn to play root notes for a tune, as you would with any tune. Then once you can do that and you know which points you have to 'stop off at' with the walking bass, you can start to slowly improvise movement between them.

All the complicated stuff can come later, but for starting just pick a few tunes and at least learn the root movement really well. After that, you could definitely use Ed Friedlands method to help you - it's the best one I've seen.

6. Dazey

Dazey

Dec 20, 2011
    St. Louis
    thanks for the advice guys. i decided im gonna try and learn moanin' by art blakely

i think these are the chords. correct me if im wrong

Fm Ab9 |G7 C7